Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 55 newbie Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Whippersnapper55 wrote:
Is there a book on how to rebuild ultramatics

As I said earlier, the most important thing to do before rebuilding is careful and meticulously noted disassembly. For instance,

? Never, ever unbolt and open an Ultramatic torque converter without first marking it... preferably scribing the flange. It is important so that you can re-assemble the two halves back in exactly the same location. Don't do this important step and you'll have problems later.

? Take notes and photographs of bolt positions and put the same bolt back in the same position when re-assembling.

? Be sure to note if a bolt (for instance in the bell housing) is specially made to allow fluid to pass. Other bolts will fit, but will prevent fluid to flow as it should and therefore affect how the transmission works (or IF it works).

? Never assume the Ultramatic (especially if previously rebuilt or opened) is with bolts and parts all in the proper positions and with the converter properly reassembled.

? Don't use home-made gaskets or try to fudge things using sealer out of a tube. Recipe for disaster.

? Never use torque specs from pre-1956 Ultramatics on a 1956 model. Check the specs. The latter Ultramatics are all aluminum and you'll be using the wrong torque and will strip the case threads.

? Since your radiator is missing, there is a good chance that your transmission cooler may also be missing. 1955 Ultramatic coolers seemed to rot out faster and easier than 1956 coolers. Either way, you'll need to check on this component and the fittings and lines leading to it. Important to make certain the cooler has no internal leaks (these can allow water or coolant to mix with transmission fluid... or worse, enter the transmission). I've also seen people just delete the cooler or don't know any better, only to end up with a malfunctioning Ultramatic later... which usually gets blamed on the poor transmission. Ultramatics on V8s are extra sensitive to being kept cool, particularly in hot climates. Don't overlook this important fact. So many of these transmissions have been destroyed just by ignoring or not knowing these issues.

There are other things to do and remember, but to me these are the most important.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 22:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Leedy thank you for the time you took out to write that post those words you like gold to me

Posted on: 2017/10/21 0:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Let me put my two cents in I have owned a 1955 400 hardtop since 2003 and in my years of ownership i have learned a couple of things about these cars firstly DO NOT REBUILD THAT ULTRAMATIC IF IT IS DYING! My Ultramatic have up the ghost in 2006 when it was 51 years old. The first one i had rebuilt by a good transmission shop in Phila Pa (where I live) lasted all of 2 years before it blew up. The next one I had rebuilt lasted about 6 months I drove it to the 2009 Gettysburg meet where it died, the rebuilder ( I wont give out his name because I don't think it was his fault) replaced it with another Ultra under warranty and that one lasted 2 years. I was passing a transmission shop in my hometown after this one self destructed and saw a man that looked to be in his 60s working on a 1940s Mercury. I asked him do you know anything about Twin-Ultramatics? He said is that the Packard automatic? I said yes could you rebuild one? He turned to me with a furrowed brow and said listen I remember those when they were new they were a pain in the ass to work on then and you cant pay me enough to work on one now! So I purchased the bendsents conversion kit for the 700r (GM) transmission. My car is a pleasure to drive now and get way better performance and especially gas mileage. The other thing I have to say the Bendix treadle vac is a reliable master cylinder the problem is ppl out there rebuilding it who do not know WTF they are doing-if you need your unit rebuilt send it to Ross Miller and FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT SENT IT TO WHITE POST RESTORATION!

Posted on: 2017/10/21 7:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Experiences vary, knowledge and skill of the rebuilder a big factor. I've accumulated many thousands of miles since and have had nothing but absolute satisfaction with my rebuilt Twin Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 8:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I rebuilt at least two Ultramatics that were "dying" back in the 1970s and as far as I know, they are still operating today. I learned how to do Ultramatics from an old guy at Earle C. Anthony and another old guy (named "Red") at Frost & French Packard... both in Los Angeles.... back in the 1970s.

As I said, the first step to doing it right is to tear it down properly. Most people just yank the thing apart and toss the bolts and parts in boxes or in soak. Some depend solely on the workshop manual, which does not tell all you need to know... and certainly was not written looking backward at these cars with a perspective of today.

It has been my experience over all these years that the mechanics who complain the most about Ultramatics usually never took the time and trouble to learn about these unusual transmissions. Ultramatics were not just another automatic and one could not use the standard techniques to work on them. But when it takes extra time and trouble to learn, for some, yes, it's a PIA... but this means???

I recall one guy who complained to me, 'These damned no good Packard Ultramatics can't be fixed! They vibrate so bad after being rebuilt... they're junk!" I asked the guy if he ever marked the torque converter before disassembling it. "Why would you do that?" he asked. Ahh. Well. I think we know where his mysterious vibrations were coming from, don't we? The Ultramatic was a very different automatic transmission for its day. Very advanced design ... with a lock-up converter. If it was as bad as people seem to think, why did Ford Motor Company get one in the 1970s and tear it down to copy it? Why do so many automatic transmissions today have lock-up converters and aluminum housings?

I have watched several people over the years tear these transmissions apart without any notations of where bolts were... and without even marking the torque converter. And with little or no effort in checking out the cooler. Then later on they are all shocked at how the Ultramatic didn't work... or how it grenaded after a while. And the blame got placed on the transmission instead of where it really belonged. RARELY have most people rebuilding an Ultramatic followed this important step. If you don't tear it down properly...and if you don't attend to the cooling circuit, no matter what is done after that is all a moot point

Posted on: 2017/10/21 14:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2017/10/30 1:03
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Sorry, Facebook membership required to view their links.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 1:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2017/10/30 22:20
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting but I wonder if that method would work on a Packard lock because there are no pins to get kicked up to stay clear of the cylinder -- just 5 spring loaded tabs that stick out one side of the cylinder. Maybe the rapid motion of the thing would kick the tabs clear and they would stay raised but don't know.

The Basco locks have the key go thru the middle of the tabs where the centers are of varying height. The different key protrusions and notches raise tabs against their springs lifting them the required amount so ends are level with the cylinder and no longer block rotation.. If the key lifts a tab too far the rotation is blocked by that tab extending out the second side and if not raised far enough rotation is still blocked on the first side.

If you know of a video showing the picking of that type lock it might benefit more than one of us.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 22:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
I printed out all service literature on the engine, twin ultramatic, electrical, and suspension. Thanks for having that available to download.

The car is at my mother's house and I live in an apartment so I get out there about once a week, if that. 3hour drive roundtrip.
I went this Sunday and got more time and pictures with the Packard.

Before I post pictures, am I doing something wrong because all my last pictures came in side ways after posting them???

I am going to go with the twin ultramatic for now but I can get I very good deal on a toploader 3 speed and I'm up to having a manual transmission, I'd prefer it. But I have to stick with what I got. With no key I can get the shifter to make 3 or four clicks in Neautal and Drive, but I notice the lever in the PN'D'LR won't click into Park or Revesese.

Can anyone please post a picture of their engine compartment because that will help me out due to the lack of parts I'm missing,thanks alot

I will be back soon

Posted on: 2017/10/31 13:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved