Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

Mechagon, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replace Intake Manifold Gasket
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chuck M McDonald
See User information
My car (1937 120C) has a leaking exhaust intake manifold gasket and it seems to be a no-brainer on removing and replacing the gasket but would someone share with me anything I should know before I start the repair?

Posted on: 2017/10/21 5:03
Yesterday I purchase
 Top  Print   

Re: Replace Intake Manifold Gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Remove the manifolds as an assembled pair and check the surfaces with a good straight edge; be prepared to have them surfaced as an assembled pair if the surfaces aren't true. If you can, get the metal sandwich gaskets; the modern composite gaskets can work OK but the OEM type are preferred. Do not use gasket adhesive. Recheck the tightness of the fasteners after a few hours of running.

And while the manifolds are off, an excellent time to check out your exhaust manifold heat control valve.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 7:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chuck M McDonald
See User information
thank you so very much, What is the torque setting? and torque is so important, the manual has absolutely zero references to the intake/exhaust removal install procedure. I realize that I need to remove the inner splash shield for access and with that shield in place it is impossible to access the manifold bolts so I assume just do not re-install till I re-torque?

Posted on: 2017/10/21 17:34
Yesterday I purchase
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chuck M McDonald
See User information
One more question; next week I am installing 750 X 16 steel belted radials, just not possible to get 700 X 16 is this going to be a problem?????

Posted on: 2017/10/21 17:36
Yesterday I purchase
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Torque specifications were primarily a development of WW II manufacturing, prior to that mechanics were taught the "by feel" method. If you have your heart set on using a torque wrench (a good practice), look at the specifications for a similar postwar engine using the same thread size fasteners and be guided by that.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 17:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chuck M McDonald
See User information
Very Interesting, I have been wrenching on Model T & A Fords for years and old Henry had a Torque setting for every engine nut & bolt, would have thought Packard would have done the same especially with their reputation of high build standards. Not having a uniform fastener setting could be the reason for failure of the intake exhaust gasket, I will use the Model A setting 35 LBS this way they will be uniform, sincerely do thank you for the information I have been spending so much time talking and emailing people about this

Posted on: 2017/10/22 2:12
Yesterday I purchase
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved