Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: rough running at high engine speeds
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Thanks for the thought, but yes, I did watch the timing mark while revving the engine and it does advance as it should, although it could be the vacuum advance doing it. I hear the centrifugal advance rarely goes haywire, and I'm not sure how to isolate it for testing purposes.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 16:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
The tune-up directions say to remove the vacuum advance.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
How's your car doing, if your having problems, this might help if you haven't already checked it out.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/Ignition_System_Training_Manual.pdf
Wes

Posted on: 2017/10/23 19:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Hey thanks It has a lot of good stuff in it. I have most of the applicable documentation on my Packard but I must have missed this one.
I'm still struggling to figure out what's wrong with my '49. I took apart the carb for the umpteenth time, trying to see if there's something obviously wrong, but everything looks ok to me.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I didn't see anywhere in this thread about the ignition cables. How new, what kind, etc.

I had a similar problem and finally in desperation took the Duchess to the shop that does my Brand X. I had those cables that use newer technology but look like the original black shellac ones. They would not bring the car inside their shop because of "liability issues." So I was thinking, how are they going to diagnose this without hooking it up to one of those big diagnostic octopus machines? (I know now they are no longer used.)

Instead the owner came out with a tester the size of a lunch box. I thought this is a waste of time. If I remember right he hooked up only one wire and ran the diagnostics at the curb. Took about 5 seconds. "It's your ignition cables." I couldn't believe it would be that simple. I got new ones at NAPA across the street. Ran like a top after. I told him that little box was amazing. He said, "Yeah, but it cost $5,000."

Have someone check your cables.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 6:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
in the document you referenced they describe a simple test of the centrifugal advance by turning the breaker cam. I can turn it but it doesn't turn very much, maybe a few degrees, feels just like slop in the drive gear, is that correct?

Posted on: 2017/10/24 9:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A simple test with a timing light as suggested before will tell you if your centrifugal advance is functioning; a distributor test machine is the best way to see if it's properly calibrated. Your comment that it moves "a few degrees' suggests it's functional. If in doubt, as suggested before, remove the breaker plate to see if the mechanism is intact. Photo of a typical centrifugal mechanism from a prewar Delco 662 distributor attached below.

You mentioned you've had the carburetor apart "umpteen" times, did you check the float level and function of the metering rods?

You've received many suggestions on what your problem may be, I'd suggest moving past the centrifugal advance question and on to them.

Attach file:

jpg  (222.99 KB)
177_59ef571e8f0f2.jpg 1920X1869 px

Posted on: 2017/10/24 10:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Yes, I checked the float level and the metering rods appear to be functioning as designed. There's not much to that carb and I've looked through every little passage I can find to make sure everything is clear.
Regarding the ignition, the centrifugal advance seems to work since the timing mark advances when I increase the engine speed with the vacuum advance disconnected, it's just that the little hand test of the breaker cam doesn't seem to move the way it suggests it should in the documentation. Is it hard to remove the breaker plate? I'm not sure which screws to remove. I know I have to remove the vacuum advance mechanism, but what else?
The problem (rough running) occurs when the pedal is almost to the floor and the revs are pretty high, much higher than the 1800 rpm where the max mechanical advance of 12 deg occurs for the IGT 4203 Autolite distributor, so I guess it can't be ignition come to think of it. I'm really at a loss as to what's going on.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 11:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
The cables are copper core, at least that's what it says on them. And they look pretty new, although they have little lumps in them which I thought was odd, but I took one off the number one cylinder and watched the spark jump when I held it close to the head. I just figured they were fine.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...so I guess it can't be ignition come to think of it. ..

I think you can eliminate ignition timing, but that doesn't mean it can't be some other aspect of ignition; pretty unlikely with today's preassembled ignition points but "point bounce" (from insufficient spring tension) years back would have been a suspect.

You say this "rough running" occurs at high engine speeds, but it's not clear to me if that means it occurs when revving the engine in neutral, or with the car actually in motion with a load on the engine. If the latter, at what road speed does the problem begin to manifest itself? If the former, what rpm?

What's the history of the mechanical fuel pump? Have you checked the pressure and delivery volume? Does the problem go away or minimize if you engage the electric pump at high rpm?

Posted on: 2017/10/24 11:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved