Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

distributor slop for '49 Custom 8 with Autolite distributor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Anybody know what kind of rotational backlash is acceptable on the distributor? In troubleshooting by rough running issue I suddenly noticed there's quite a bit of rotational slop in the distributor cam

Posted on: 2017/10/22 17:18
 Top  Print 

Re: distributor slop for '49 Custom 8 with Autolite distributor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What you believe to be rotational slop is almost certainly the functioning of the centrifugal advance mechanism. The cam is connected to the lower shaft thru the advance mechanism. Pull the breaker plate and take a look.

If you want to check to see if the centrifugal advance is functioning, put your timing light in the front pulley and rev the engine, just disable the vacuum advance first.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 17:27
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Yeah, I see where there's some slop (not as much) on the distributor on my '50 Ford. Well, at this point I'm really grasping at straws.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 19:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I had a similar issue rough at higher rpm until I discovered that the "hidden" or hard to get at hex-head capscrew holding the distributor to the block, the one toward the rear, was loose. The easy to get to screw toward the front was tight.

I also thought this issue was caused because the choke spring didn't function properly and instead of keeping the choke open after the engine was hot, allowed it to flip-flop open-and-close at higher speeds. I had to be moving to make this happen.

Maybe check to eliminate.
edit
Or be amused starting with post #391 on the Duchess project
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=390

Attach file:

jpg  (31.87 KB)
1067_59edbe30522d0.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (77.04 KB)
1067_59edbfcbefac4.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2017/10/23 5:09
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Thanks for pointing that out. It sounds like that other guy had the same problem. However that cap screw seems to be secure on mine. I think it's a half inch hex and I couldn't move it . Also the distributor is not moving when I try to turn it with my hands.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 9:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved