Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Closely related?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I just re-read the newly posted May 1949 Steel magazine article in this forum. It's occurred to me that George Christopher may have intentionally made his familiarity with GM (Pontiac and Buick) into something more once he joined Packard. My first question is whether the post-120 generations of Junior Packards shared their DNA with the L-head straight eight Pontiac or the overhead valve Buick eights? Did the commonality of senior GM products cause the family sharing of components by Delco-Remy or were they just the best available at a price at the time?

It also seems like the closest thing an American buyer could get to having a real post WW II Packard was a Buick. Similar electrics, similar starter routine with the Carter Car-Start, similar bi-hinged hood that could easily be removed, etc. When it came to "Dual-Dealerships", what other brands predominated? Hudson or Nash as independents might have been natural showroom siblings, but I have noted a number of Buick and some Chrysler pairings. Seems to me that Buick would have been a natural, not only because of the pricing ranges, but having a United Motors availability with Delco and Harrison suppliers.

I also note that both Packard (over the objections and stubborness of Christopher)and Buick were on track to switch from straight eights to V-8s as early as 1953, but delays happened and Buick got there first with its "Nailhead." But both straight eight brands shared the silky smooth Ultramatics and Dynaflows. That might have meant that if I had blindfolded my grandmother, she might not have known whether she was riding in a Buick or a Packard, except for the price. Her dealer sold both.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 19:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved