Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Putting starter back together
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Gents, When re-assembling the starter it seems to me some lubrication should be applied to the portions of the armature shaft that ride in the bushings. Am I correct? If so, what type of lube to use?

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:09
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Putting starter back together
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you specifically referencing the Owen Dyneto units which do not have an oil cup? I use Lubriplate white grease.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not familiar with the OD starter. But do they not use Oilite bushings???? OR, at least modern replacement bushings that are Oilite??? Still put some lubriplate on them anyway as Owen suggests.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oilite was introduced by Chrysler in 1930. Starters and generators before 1930 did not have Oilite when made but if they've had a comprehensive rebuild since almost certainly do now, or something comparable to Oilite.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dave, What was used with the Bendix and shaft back then? Delco and Autolite want a very light coat of oil on the shaft under the Bendix. Was that the same on the older O_D starters?

Posted on: 2017/10/27 20:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
It is an Owen Dyneto without oil cup. I shall apply a thin coating of Lubriplate white grease. Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/10/27 20:39
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I need to do this tomorrow and no parts house in town seems to stock Lubriplate White. Not O'Reilly, not Autozone, not NAPA, not Carquest. Only Lubriplate they stock is the Motor Assembly Grease. Is there a good substitute for White?

Posted on: 2017/10/27 21:00
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe ordinary Lubriplate is a brand of white lithium grease so you might also look for compounds under that generic. Permatex makes one as do others.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 21:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved