Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 radiator ? & more
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Hey guys.
My 55 clipper is missing the radiator and that long black piece that goes above with the hook that latched on the hood(what's that called). Is that piece interchangeable with all Packards of 55 or other years.

Look bellow at the picture of alot of radiators, of the 3 I believe the one the left is for My clipper from comparing in pictures. How good is an old radiator like this, I've seen in the forum where others have used the Ford truck radiator. It also appears to have a small dent in the upper tank. I added another picture of it by itself. Thanks. Having fun learning on my Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (169.13 KB)
167221_5a04fca2ae6ac.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (194.92 KB)
167221_5a04fcc560566.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/11/9 20:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 radiator ? & more
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The sheetmetal piece on top where the hood latch components mount is called the upper or top radiator splasher and is the same for all 55-6 cars except the 55 Caribbean. The screws and speednuts that fasten it to the grill potmetal and other sheetmetal have an odd thread size which doesn't appear to be easily found today. If your screws are missing you will need to get both pieces in matching commercially available sizes.

On the radiator, I think used is going to be hit or miss. There is just no way I know of to tell if a used radiator is good or has an impending leak waiting for a bit of pressure to pop it open. About the only thing you could do is take a chance and then have a radiator shop check it out.

I would suggest you measure the width of the mounting holes on your cradle. There should be 3 holes on the engine side of each upright so you should be able to get a decent measurement to compare with those radiators available. I believe the width on the 51-4 radiators is about the same so measuring your cradle is the first step.

The V8 radiators have the top tank water inlet in the center. When properly oriented as if in the car, the overflow tube will be on the engine side of the radiator which puts the fill cap toward the drivers side. The outlet on the bottom tank is also offset toward the drivers side almost directly under the fill cap. IIRC, the 51-4 radiators are almost the same size but the bottom outlet is on the passenger side.

Ultramatic cars had the radiator outlet feeding straight into the bottom inlet on the trans fluid cooler. Since your cooler is missing you could opt for an aftermarket trans cooler mounted somewhere in front of the radiator by extending the tubing with trans fluid rated rubber hoses. You could then use a double curved radiator hose as if the car had a manual trans to run the radiator outlet directly into the water pump manifold. The upper hose in this photo from Max's site is the manual trans bottom side hose and shows approximately what the needed hose would look like.

Posted on: 2017/11/9 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 radiator ? & more
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Which one of those is the V8 radiator?

Posted on: 2017/11/9 22:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved