Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Packard Six with Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Celebrated Veterans day today by participating in the annual San Jose Veterans day parade and had the honor of having 2 Veterans along with us in my 1939 Packard. It was a great experience

As we left the parade, got back into traffic and stopped at a light. Attempted to put car in 1st gear, but was met with the horrible sound of grinding gears. Took off in 2nd, no problem. As we got closer to home, using 2nd, 3rd and OD only, 2nd was also starting to complain when shifting into 2nd at a light.

Guess I am a bit confused, why is their grinding if the car is stopped and clutch depressed? 1st gear works if I shift into 1st with the motor off

So that's my first question, what's up with that?

Second, where do I start troubleshooting. I will put her on a lift tomorrow, check all fluid levels and then drain and replenish with fresh fluid, unless their is metal in the fluid in which case I will drop the trans/OD. Fingers crossed.

Suggestions anyone?

John

Posted on: 2017/11/11 19:39
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Packard Six with Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm no expert but maybe you clutch needs to be adjusted?

Posted on: 2017/11/11 19:45
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks, that's on my list to check when under the car, but given it doesn't slip, not sure that is the issue. I would think that a car of this age, with as far as we know, all original driveline components, clutch would be getting "looser" not gripping, no ?

Posted on: 2017/11/11 19:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What is the clutch pedal free play? Much more than specification and you can have the pedal bottom out on the toeboard before the clutch is fully released. Simple adjustment as BDC suggests.

Posted on: 2017/11/11 20:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Wow and DUH on my part. Just checked, about 4.5" of pedal free play, bit more than the spec'd 1.5" - 2".

Kind of makes sense as well, only had occasional problem in past. After being in a slow moving parade for 2+ hours, might have taken wear and tear on the old clutch !! I'll adjust that first thing in the AM and keep all posted. Thanks !!

John

Posted on: 2017/11/11 20:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Sorry I missed the parade as I live within walking dstance! Had I known a Packard would have been there, I might have gone as a 1939 Six was my very first.

Anyway, sounds like you found the culprit. Similar symptoms happened to me during the Packard Club national meet in Berkeley decades ago while driving my 6200lb 1952 Henney-Packard. In that case, the main cluster gear's retainer came off causing the gears to be out of position which in turn damaged the syncros. It was a mess that required the transmission to be pulled but an easy fix after that.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 2:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Don

The car will be at the Morgan Hill Xmas parade on December 2nd, or if you are in MH are a drop me a line.

Was under the car last night, found the adjustment. Unfortunately, not much left to adjust. Took it to the max and pedal free play is 3" now instead of 4.5". SO, will drop the transmission I guess to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate

There appears to be a second adjustment , a rod parallel to the adjustment rod. Didn't have the car up on the lift, so couldn't see the adjustment end. Fig 51 n the shop manual illustrates this, but they show the adjustment on the inboard nut, which I think is in error. Anyone know?

Posted on: 2017/11/12 12:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Make sure you check throw out bearing. Make sure there is no play in the bearing itself.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
John, post some photos of your car at the parade, if you have any. I always like to see another 39 Six.
PM

Attach file:

jpg  (141.45 KB)
1898_5a08a697558d9.jpg 1306X980 px

Posted on: 2017/11/12 14:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Photo of Packard staging for the Veterans day parade

Attach file:

jpg  (252.98 KB)
111944_5a203f134dc92.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2017/11/30 12:25
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved