Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Fish'n Jim, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

King Pins and Bushins - 39 Packard 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Any words of wisdom from anyone that has tackled removal, reaming and installation of king pins and bushings on a 1939 110?
I found the king pins and bushings, getting ready to order. Was hoping to fins ones that wouldn't need reaming, guess that does not exist. What size reamer and who carry it?

Thanks
John

Attach file:

jpg  (252.98 KB)
111944_5a09e2c8f1950.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2017/11/13 13:22
 Top  Print   

Re: King Pins and Bushins - 39 Packard 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Actually if you source the later style kit/s with needle bearings rather than bushings, you can avoid reaming. Wait...brain cell buzzing...you have a 39, which has the thinwall bushings, bushings only....thick bushings/needle debuted in 41....sorry. therefore my comment applies to 41 and later cars.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 14:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your pins measure 0.866, then a rather common reamer should do the job, pix of one attached, not uncommonly found at larger antique car flea markets as it also is used for Chevrolet and GMC trucks and Corvettes thru 1962. It's a 0.868". Note that Packard was very emphatic in their shop manuals that if the bushings are oil-impregnated, they should be burnished and NOT reamed.

All else failing use a good micrometer and measure the diameter of the new pins, and then head off to a good machine shop supply store for a reamer. In the absence of other advice, I'd think about a 0.001"- 0.002" clearance for lubrication film.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You might want to look through my 1940 rebuild thread. This link starts on the third page.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

Posted on: 2017/11/14 8:37
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Nice write up West on replacement of the king pins. I wish they all came out that easy, but I've had ones in other cars that needed to be heated to get them to come out after the decades of being in there.....
John

Posted on: 2017/11/14 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I had the blessing of working on a 50,000-mile car that hadn't been used since the late 1950s, and stored properly.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 9:33
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
EXCELLENT write up West, thank you. Couple of valuable points I learned, the drift pins are directional and the bolts / washers for the shocks are "matched"

Not having much luck finding a shop or for that matter a reamer in the South San Jose area. Holding off pulling them off until after the Christmas parade on the 3rd.

Thanks again West !

Posted on: 2017/11/14 14:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I buy many of my machine shop tools like reamers and the like from MSC Industrial Supply, they have a huge inventory - let's hope what you need is a standard size.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I wonder if you could use an adjustable reamer?? John

Posted on: 2017/11/14 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
I have found adjustable reamers as well as reamers of the proper size but none with a pilot so if I was to do this in my garage, I would insure concentricity of the two holes. Also a bit concerned about the manual stating it should be burnished, not reamed. Still calling local shops, thanks

John

Posted on: 2017/11/14 19:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved