Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 122

Spencer B., Aiden, Don Shields, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

901 Light Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have two questions about my 901, which should be no problem for the users of this site to answer.

The first one is about the light switch on the steering column. What keeps is suppose to keep the switch from trning when the steering wheel is turned?

The second concerns an information plate (1.5 by 3.25 inches)that would have been installed by the dealer (see photo). Namely where would it have been installed on the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.88 KB)
1063_5a0b66ea87afe.jpg 1038X513 px

Posted on: 2017/11/14 16:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 901 Light Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From what I've seen there isn't any consistency to where various dealers chose to mount that type of plate. On the dash board and under the hood on the cowl are probably most often seen. I've also seen smaller varieties attached to door jambs.

I seem to recall a very good illustration of the headlight switch details in the 33/34 Parts List. I think the picture explains it better than I could in words. Quite sure the 32 switch is similar if not the same.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Heres a little side note on the D.E. McDaneld Inc. dealership.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=162696

Interesting guy.

Posted on: 2017/11/15 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry to have mislead, 1932 Standard Eight used a Culver-Stearns G-841-A headlight switch and 1933 and 1934 Packard Eights used an RBM LS-600. So the switches are different and there may be some differences in how they are attached, though no doubt they are very similar. The only part of the switch that rotates is the internal rotor than makes the electrical connections.

Posted on: 2017/11/15 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have the switch all hooked up and everything lights ups like it is suppose to. My problem is when is when I turn the steering wheel to the right, the switch rotates clockwise turning on the lights. I need to find out what I've failed to do or didn't do to prevent this from occurring.

Posted on: 2017/11/15 13:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to be clear, are you sure it is the actual switch body that's rotating, and not the internal rotor?

Posted on: 2017/11/15 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The switch at the bottom end of the column isn't rotating. When I turn the steering wheel CW the lever on the steering wheel end f the column rotates CW turning on the lights.

Posted on: 2017/11/16 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like the brass sleeve attached at the top to the lever at the steering wheel and at the bottom to the switch rotor is binding, perhaps inside the column.

It's a really simple arrangement but a PITA to disassemble.

PS. Any chance it's binding with the hand throttle linkage at the base of the column?

Posted on: 2017/11/16 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave, thanks for your input I'll look at the brass sleeves (top & bottom). I don't have the the throttle linkage connected. The gear that comes off of the column that I have is broken and I've been unable to find another one.

Like you said the tear into the column is a PITA and I wanted some thoughts on the issue before starting.

Again thanks. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and that goes to all my PackardInfo Buddies.

Posted on: 2017/11/17 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes, and the same to you.

If your broken hand throttle gear at the column base is the driven gear, it's been in reproduction in bronze for some years now, though for the life of me I can't recall from whom. The originals were die cast white metal and I'm bit surprised mine has survived this long.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.84 KB)
177_5a0f010731542.jpg 1500X1223 px

Posted on: 2017/11/17 10:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved