Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

40 Packard banjo steering wheel horn button installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I'm looking for detailed info regarding installation of a 1940 Packard banjo steering wheel horn button. The button I have has three tabs one at 4, one at 8, and one at 12. Specific info and some photos would be very helpful..

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/15 19:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 40 Packard banjo steering wheel horn button installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I hope my chicken scratching helps.
Yesterday's Radio plastic parts was sold to LaVine Restorations, but the parts themselves are at this URL, if you need them.
https://classiccarreproductions.com/product-category/horn-buttons/

Here is my drawing (no guarantee it is accurate) and some related photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (197.98 KB)
1067_5a0cf9c2d6542.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  (52.68 KB)
1067_5a0cf9d668b1c.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (39.04 KB)
1067_5a0cf9e1c1b7d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (36.03 KB)
1067_5a0cf9ef396d7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.72 KB)
1067_5a0cf9f7775b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (225.26 KB)
1067_5a0cfa0490d88.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/11/15 21:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the plastic button have a thin chrome or maybe painted metal ring on the outer edge where it meets the horn ring? Looking at Joe's wheel and a couple in the photo archive it looks like it might. If so, it may be similar to the way the 41-7 Clipper emblem or button attaches. Slightly different pieces but if no one has photos of a 40 and if you want them I can provide photos of how the Clipper button assembles to the horn ring. Here is a K wheel which I believe is the Clipper version of a Banjo wheel.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.42 KB)
209_5a0d22adbbbe8.jpg 1076X856 px

Posted on: 2017/11/15 22:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Dallas
It would help if you set out the parts you have or are unsure of and take a photo. If I could figure it out, I'm sure you could. Plus it might help someone else.
Joe

Posted on: 2017/11/16 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
My situation is that I'm trying to help someone who has the parts. I have a parts book but it doesn't breakdown the horn button.emblem parts. Also ,if I knew how to remove the horn button I could tell my friend how to install it. I have requested he send me photos of his button and parts. Thanks Joe and HH

Posted on: 2017/11/16 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
In one of the pictures of the underside on the wheel, you can see 1 of 3 countersunk holes, also represented by the vertical ovals in my chicken scratch.. You need a small screwdriver with a long shaft to go up there and undo the 3 screws at the top. Then the upper half of the center of the wheel lifts off.

If you zoom in on the pic with the masking tape, you can see the 3 holes in the lower half of the hub.

In the picture of the plastic disk on the left in the Yesterday's catalog page, there are 4 slits around the center. The metal emblem has 4 tabs. These fit in the slits.

The 3 screws holding the top half of the wheel hub can be very tight. It might be a good idea to spray some oil up those holes. Just don't get any WD40 on plastic. Make sure you have a screw driver that's the right size for those screws. You definitely do not want to strip one of them. They are machine screws into pot metal.

Posted on: 2017/11/16 12:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the 40 Banjo is like the later K or deluxe wheels the hub is metal and there should be some plastic insulators in those mounting holes to separate parts of the horn ring from ground. If a screw strips or breaks make sure to replace it with one having a narrow filister type head that cannot touch the hub metal. Also there is a paper insulating gasket located between the mounting plate the screws thread into and the metal hub that needs to be in good condition.

Posted on: 2017/11/16 14:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Right. Like a donut in there.

Posted on: 2017/11/16 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Haven't heard from my friend but I have learned a lot about banjo steering wheels.

Thanks for the input

Posted on: 2017/11/17 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Heard from my friend and the 40 Packard banjo steering wheel and horn ring plus emblem have been installed. Thanks for all the photos and ideas. You guys helped make it happen. Happy Thanksgiving

Posted on: 2017/11/23 9:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved