Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
26 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Howard. This is in reference to the 1954 Patrician that the blog is about. On the ground strap, there is apparently some contention about where it goes but factory photos that I've see show it connected to one of the water pump bolts.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Back at the Oregon shop and, while most of the trip this time will be in other work, I am going to spend some time on the Patrician and have ordered a few things for it including a Treadlevac rebuild kit and new cylinder casting. The Treadlevac in the car is good but unused for decades so at least needs new rubber parts but I am going to rebuild the very rough one from the parts car so that I can just swap them out. I'll append some photos to this after I save it because I can't seem to stay logged in long enough to do so at once.

As you can see, it's a mess inside. I also bought a few caps with a hole to use as adapters for my pressure bleeder so that the system can be thoroughly flushed.

Attach file:

jpeg  (307.79 KB)
60923_5cf5609b77e70.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (236.29 KB)
60923_5cf560d7df3d7.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/6/3 13:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I went to Napa a few days ago and picked up new front wheel cylinders and hoses, and finally started getting them installed today. However, things I used to be able to do without even thinking about it I can no longer recall. For example, when adjusting brakes, I seem to recall that they are adjusted until snug, then backed off but how snug and how many clicks to back off?

Not actually doing any restoration yet but just trying to get the car roadable once again. It already runs nicely but safety things like the brakes need to be done and I got the kit today for the Treadlevac so will see how far I can get on that. This used to be an every-day driver so had gotten all new wheel bearings, brakes etc. many years ago and driven only a few thousand miles but the brakes at least are no longer save from decades of being parked. The shoes, though, are excellent. Of course, even if I get these things done, no road-testing yet since I've not yet removed the column to free up the shifter.

By the way, does anyone have the Napa part number handy for the rear brake cylinders?

Update: As Ross mentioned down in #87, I had the orange and yellow springs reversed so the first photo is how NOT to do it and the second is the correct way.

Attach file:

jpeg  (232.29 KB)
60923_5cf9c4104f158.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (228.96 KB)
60923_5cfb16920247a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/6 20:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51-4 manual says turn the star wheel until the wheel can just be turned by hand then back off as needed. 55-6 manual says the same about tightening to just turned by hand but then has you back off at least 7 notches or as required until the wheel turns freely.

For the rear wheels, both caution as Ross has mentioned several times, to disconnect the rear emergency brake cable at the equalizer and ensure there is slack into the wheel so there is no emergency brake interference before the adjustment. After the star wheel adj then do the procedure for adjusting the emerg brakes.

Posted on: 2019/6/6 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! I like better what the 1955-56 manual says and is more in keeping with what I recalled. The reminder about the parking brake cable is a good one although that was fresh on my mind after having just read it in another blog. However, I may not get to the rear brakes until I get the Napa number but haven't looked at the cross-reference section as I may be there.

Posted on: 2019/6/6 21:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm doing this with the tire off just turning the drum and not sure if the manual's instructions are with it on or off as the feel would be quite different. I suspect that the manual expects the tire to be attached. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2019/6/6 21:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
NAPA 9025, 9026. Move your orange spring to the primary (front) shoe.

Posted on: 2019/6/7 5:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thanks Ross and will do with moving the springs. The way I put them back together was the way they were when I took it apart which was apparently wrong.

Speaking of springs, these were just about the tightest I've ever seen and nearly impossible to remove and reinstall - until I remembered that I had a special tool for doing it! Although a bit awkward for removal, it did the job and was perfect for installation.

Posted on: 2019/6/7 11:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Apparently the 9025 and 9026 cylinders require an adapter for the fitting and I would rather not go that route so I'll rebuild mine. What is the diameter for a 1954 senior model?

Posted on: 2019/6/7 14:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The several dozen pair I have used did not need an adapter--regular 3/16 brake line screwed in just fine. Has something changed?

Posted on: 2019/6/7 14:51
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved