Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

William Grosz, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1932 Packard Light eight shovelnose serial number plate
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Still here and I'd be glad to chat. Send me a PM with your phone# and some good times to call.

Dave

Posted on: 2020/1/1 17:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Wallybones,
to PackardInfo and, I invite you to include your '32 900 Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry

Posted on: 2020/1/1 18:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Gary Mason
See User information
Hello, i would like to learn more how genuine and original is my particular car. I found the vehicle number stamped into the rumble seat lid and it confirms the patent plate on the firewall as unit # 558-93. The firewall plate shows no other info other than serial number. Date of manufacture, selling dealer etc, is all blank - i think the plate is likely repo. I would love to learn more history on my car, are there any records around too hunt? I would like to research how many 558's still exist. I only see a small handful - looks like thay all got chopped to make roadsters. I am curious about making it more of a driver but absolutely terrified to modify or change the car in anyway. How do i confirm if the running gear is numbers matched etc. What mods are acceptable to an original car - if any? As i mentioned im new to this art of owning classic packards. Love to hear your comments. thanks
WallyBones
p.s. i just added the car to the registry, you can see an image of it there.

Posted on: 2020/1/10 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Jeffery Hammers in Pennsylvania is the 900 guru.

Posted on: 2020/1/10 11:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Often it's quite easy to spot a reproduction patent plate, how about a photo?

The date on the patent plate is NOT the date of manufacture, it's the date of first sale and its primary purpose was to record the beginning of the factory warranty period.

Posted on: 2020/1/10 11:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tph479
See User information
I believe that there are at least 15 558 coupes existing at this time. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more out there.

It can be said that all coupes started life as a coupe roadster since they share the same body. The coupe roof was added during assembly. Since it is relatively easy to make a coupe into a coupe roadster that explains why a lot of the coupes were converted into convertibles. The only way you can tell what it left the factory as is by checking the rumble seat lid number and the golf club bag door wood, if it still has the original wood.

If your 900 is tuned in and bought mechanically brought back to factory specs you will not need any modifications to keep up with modern traffic. It will stop and down the road just fine.

Posted on: 2020/1/10 12:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wallybones for including your great looking '32 Light Eight Coupe in the Registry.

Posted on: 2020/1/11 3:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Wow, that is one pretty car!!! Chris

Posted on: 2020/1/11 12:33
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... i just added the car to the registry, you can see an image of it there ...

Click to see original Image in a new window

Gary (Wallybones), when it comes to your specific car, that is shown in the owner registry, then the internet is a rich source. Take for example -> this page:

"A passionate car collector, restorer, and active AACA member with numerous restorations under his belt, he discovered this rare Packard outside of Buffalo, New York in the early 2000s. He brought the car home to Ohio where he and his family began the painstaking process of restoring the car to concours standards. Penn-Dutch Restorations of Glen Rock, PA was called in to perform the body restoration, paint, and detailing ... Following its outstanding restoration, this Packard was shown in numerous AACA events, earning its First Junior at the 2012 Southern Fall Meet, and a Senior National First Prize at the Auburn Spring Meet. It was also shown at the 2012 Glenmoor Gathering. In the time since the restoration has matured while remaining worthy of display in regional concours and club events today. Such is the Light Eight's rarity, exquisite style, and historical importance, it qualifies as a CCCA Full Classic and is thereby eligible for CARavan tours and Grand Classic events, where the brisk and lively performance that makes the 900 so desirable can be fully appreciated."

Posted on: 2020/1/12 7:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Gary Mason
See User information
From one newbie to another,
Thanks for the comment, when my car arrived it ran but just barely, they had installed a 6v electric fuel pump to try to eliminate stalling - drilled holes in the frame to mount it, much to my dismay. After several, very careful, dismantlings of the updraft carb i found that the air door was sticking in its slides and making it act like it was running out of fuel and stall. Biggest problem was misalignment caused by wrong gaskets - wounded alignment pins, heat checked webbing on the slide. with get care and handmade gaskets i was able to reassemble carb without it binding and car runs great (i removed the aftermarket fuel pump). My syncro trans leaves a little to be desired and would love to switch it up to a more modern 5-spd with real syncros, but im afraid to hurt originality for driveability. It seems the cars are worth more if they are reliable drivers so i would love to here some banter about mods for driveabilty versus strict adherance to originality.

Posted on: 2020/1/12 10:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved