Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

John Sauser, Todd W. White, Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 Oil Pumps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure you mean fourty-five thousandths, not four and a half thousandths wear on the mains?

I'm still amazed at the differences we see between engines. With very high mileage in a untouched engine my hot idle oil pressure is about 35 psi at the gauge, about 21 at the filter inlet. The car has probably had exceptional care over the years, the first purchaser was already a Packard club member and well-known collector.

Posted on: 2017/12/31 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
That's one of my ...why's...the oil filter just goes into the block.

It's not even in series..to complete a circuit..

Posted on: 2017/12/31 18:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With the exception of the prewar seniors with full-flow, that type of filtration was pretty much standard industry practice at that time, though nearly universal full-flow was just around the corner.

No sure what you mean, in my view it does complete as circuit, the oil pump starts the loop by drawing from the sump and the filter ends it by returning the oil to the sump.

Posted on: 2017/12/31 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the early straight 8 filters there was an orifice in one of the input fittings to lower the flow volume thru the filter to keep pressure in the rest of the system. Originally with the first filters at the filter itself but later on in the 4 way fitting. I believe that orifice may have been eliminated in favor of some very small openings in the filter center pipe to provide the same function. It might be interesting to know the flow rate of the S8 filters vs the V8.

I wouldn't think there would be any issue adding an orifice to the V8 fitting as an experiment. If the center holes are doing their job the flow would still be restricted to what was originally allowed and there would be no change in pressure. if there was excess flow before, the orifice might reduce flow thru the filter a bit but make it no worse than the earlier engines and certainly better than no filter at all.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.63 KB)
209_5a4971b17ed27.jpg 386X118 px

Posted on: 2017/12/31 18:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Sorry guys, didn't mean to bring up the partial filtration bypass: every forum on every vehicle made in the fifties worldwide grinds through the same should have/ shouldn't have

- anyways, I do like the olds pump conversion - for peace of mind especially as you know you're going to have no lifter rattle and good pressure at idle etc. It's a good feeling

"Are you sure you mean fourty-five thousandths, not four and a half thousandths wear on the mains?"

Yep - the crank was toasted. I took a photo of one of the mains and it's about as bad as a crank could get

I'm really pleased to hear about your car being so good. As I'd kind of mentioned earlier - I'm sure that if the car has been well treated, oil changes, good oils in the past etc they can and will live.
I feel a bit like, as with most modern cars marginal cooling systems, it takes very little, in this case grubby and solid oil, to turn an adequate oiling system into an inadequate and potentially disastrous one.

Isn't it a gorgeous day, especially when it was meant to rain

Posted on: 2017/12/31 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Dave..

In general terms.. Yes..starts and ends.

But... In an electric circuit..that would be open..unless you used a switch..

From what I get..is that oil line goes into block. Oils timing chain.

I guess the only way is to do what Kevin owns one did.. Tie into suction side of oil pump..

Posted on: 2018/1/1 0:38
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think the filter return does much for the chain directly since filters were an option and not on all engines. I believe the return drops into the lifter valley and while there may be an opening into the chain cavity, if any gets to the chain it is incidental. The chain is oiled by the intermittent squirt from the cam uncovering the hole in the thrust plate every revolution.

Posted on: 2018/1/1 0:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Urban Dictionary: munted
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=munted

(1) adj. refers to the property of an object (or person) as broken, ruined, significantly damaged, disfigured or deformed, often to the extent that it is not reversable or repairable. (2) adj. an extreme state of intoxication by way of drugs or alcohol such that the subject's ability to perform basic tasks such as walking and talking are ...

Posted on: 2018/1/1 9:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
LOL that's brilliant - and I never clicked the word "munted" was a geographically specific colloquialism.

Quote:

64avanti wrote:
Urban Dictionary: munted
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=munted

(1) adj. refers to the property of an object (or person) as broken, ruined, significantly damaged, disfigured or deformed, often to the extent that it is not reversable or repairable. (2) adj. an extreme state of intoxication by way of drugs or alcohol such that the subject's ability to perform basic tasks such as walking and talking are ...

Posted on: 2018/1/1 15:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved