Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 80

soulrenovation, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Threaded Post On Delco Starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thank you for the suggestion, but the geometry of my solenoid and starter will not allow a direct shot to the head of the upper bolt fastener. The legs and engine-side bolts of my solenoid are in the way. I can't get the solenoid off without removing the starter. So I appear to be between a rock and a hard place.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
What are we missing here? My experience with my 51 and 53 Packard's is easy in and easy out with both bolts and the starter is out in 15 mins. I'm suspecting that there may be insufficient tool availability. The right tool for the job is usually why people that work on cars usually have a well stocked assortment of "the right tool for the job". Perhaps Steve828 we need more detailed photos to see what's up.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 18:26
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 54 solenoid shifted starters are very hard to install and remove. The upper bolt is hard to reach, to see, or even lay a finger upon.

Here is the drill: stick a 5/8 socket on the end of a telescoping magnet. Finagle it onto the bolt head. Stab the socket with a long extension that has a "wobble" end. Unscrew the bolt. Pause to curse the junior draftsman who laid this out on paper and the senior engineer who did not look at the drawing carefully.

To reinstall you can pre-install the bolt, socket and extension on the starter and slap the whole thing back in.

Better yet, get any 53 starter or a 54 starter from the two lower lines of Clipper. I vastly prefer them for a number of reasons including ease of mounting.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I see 😎 thanks for the clarification Ross.

Regards

Posted on: 2017/12/20 19:42
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Warren - if you are inclined to have an earlier starter rebuilt, I have a core you are welcome to,no charge.
DAF

Posted on: 2017/12/20 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks again for all the suggestions, which I will try.
David...I will probably take you up on that offer. Let me see if I can get out of my own way in removing this starter and I will contact you.

You are all very helpful and considerate.

I will keep you posted on what finally works.

Warren

Posted on: 2017/12/21 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I bought a set of the "wobble" extensions at Harbor Freight,
they are handy for that not quite straight on need....

John

Posted on: 2017/12/21 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Dear Packard Friends,

The only way I could get to the top bolt fastener of the starter was to remove three base bolts from the top-mounted solenoid..I was then able to wiggle the solenoid out of position enough to get a narrow wrench on the fourth and final attaching bolt of the solenoid. Once I got that loose and removed the solenoid, I now have a basically clear shot to the top fastening bolt of the starter. Wow, that was difficult but satisfying.

I'm gonna take up the Flackmaster's offer on an older style starter core and see if that makes life easier.

PS..does anyone know of a 6v high torque mini starter for sale for the six-volt 54 Clipper. I know it's not original, but I'm more into driving than originality.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Warren

Posted on: 2017/12/27 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know, the only "hi torque" 6v starter would be the gear reduction units used on the 40-50 356 engine and the 51 and maybe 52 Patrician engines. That is what I put on a 54 Pacific some years back but while they are available, they are getting harder to find and more expensive to buy.

There are 12v hi torque mini starters to fit Packard models available from an ebay vendor but those are the only Packard specific ones I know of.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 13:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thank you, Howard

I was hoping maybe there was a 6v mini starter that would weigh less and take up less room, but obviously that's not available.

PS...the core I am getting from the Flackmaster is an MCL-6003 that was used on 1949-1951 models and is apparently an Autolite product that is advertised at 8 ft/lb of torque. My current 1954 unit is a Delco unit that produces 13.5 ft/lb of torque. Do you think the Autolite MCL-6003 will be a suitable replacement for my Delco 118027? The MCL-6003 seems to take less amps to operate and spins at a slightly lower RPM.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Best Regards,
Warren

Posted on: 2017/12/28 10:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved