Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear end gasket material
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hey guys,

Soon I'll be rebuilding the rear end of my 53 clipper and I'd like to make my own gaskets for the backing plates and outer seal carriers.

My question is, what material and thickness should I use for these particular gaskets?

Thank you,

-Chris

Posted on: 2017/12/19 3:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear end gasket material
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Bump? Anyone?

Posted on: 2018/1/10 1:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I clean off the old gasket and use a small thinly spread dab of silicone gasket maker with no gaskets. Saves a lot of time and those joints are not under pressure. Otherwise any thin paper will do. You don't want anything squishy like cork as there is a lot of compressive force applied.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 7:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thank you Ross - good info for all of us.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 10:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My local NAPA has a great assortment of gasket paper and a recent purchase has paid many dividends, it is a cheapo gasket punch set for punching holes in paper-any size you want. Be very careful with RTV- many horror stories out there. More is not better!

Posted on: 2018/1/10 10:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Don't use any run-of-the-mill RTV when gear oil is involved. Sooner or later, those will fail and begin to leak.

Several years ago, I used Permatex Ultra Grey on a Saginaw cast-iron 4-speed (a thin coat over paper gaskets) with good, long-lasting results, but they now have an RTV specifically formulated for use with gear oil - #81182.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 13:35
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Thanks for the replies fellas.

The only things that concerns me about a RTV style gasket on the rear end is the shimming of the axle setup. I know you're supposed to have a certain amount of runoff for the axles using the shims. If the rtv is thinner or thicker than the factory paper gaskets won't that mess with things?

Thank you,

-Chris

Posted on: 2018/1/17 13:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There are no gaskets used between the backing plate, the shims, and the axle housing. Consequently what is used to seal the grease seals to the other side of the backing plate does not affect your end play. There is also no gear oil present at that point, because of the inner seal behind the wheel bearing. The wheel bearing is grease packed and should never see gear lube from the diff. The outer seals are only to keep any errant grease that might ooze out of the bearings from getting on the brakes. It is to be captured by the outer sheet metal shell and unceremoniously allowed to drip out of the drain hole that is drilled in axle flange.

Posted on: 2018/1/17 13:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
We all try to do everything, but sometimes it's best to get help/farm out. Repair by internet is tempting failure.

Posted on: 2018/1/17 21:29
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Thank you all for the help.

Ross, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. I couldn't remember how it all went back together but you're right. The areas that need to be sealed are inside of the drum assembly. I'll just end up using a little bit of grey RTV for those areas.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the help.

-Chris

Posted on: 2018/1/22 16:01
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved