Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Kathy Barrera, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel gauge ohms for a 1949 Deluxe 8
Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger L. Yarger
See User information
Fuel tank in my 1949 Deluxe 8 Packard is beyond repair. Have been searching for a replacement tank with not much luck. It looks like at the moment I am going to have to have a new one built. I need to know the ohm"s that the fuel gauge requires so the vendor can add a sender unit in the tank when he builds it. The new tank is expensive in my eyes $895 without the sending unit. In a nutshell any help would be very much appreciated. Since I am new to the forum a little history about car: Is my first car to start restoring. I purchased this car from original owner it has 28000 miles on it. The interior is in amazing condition but it has not ran for many years, it does turn over but no brakes etc. I am new to forums so not sure about proper etiquette. Thank you

Posted on: 2017/12/20 8:20
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel gauge ohms for a 1949 Deluxe 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the forum.

The 48-50 gauges use senders which are bimetal strips with an on and off operation and do not put out a constant resistance reading. Two heaters - one in the gauge and one in the sender - are in series. The fuel float operates a cam affair which loads the bimetal strip. The changing force makes that heater work proportionally to change the on vs off time period which changes the gauge heater time on or off to move the needle accordingly. The oil and temp senders are similar with temp or pressure changing the load on the bimetal strips.

Having said that, you might look at at a project blog on the PAC forum where a fellow is doing some experimentation with a modern sender and also modifying a Chevy repro tank to fit the 22-23 series. It is a lengthy blog but some sender info is on page 46 as well as scattered about earlier where he starts the experiment.

His car is not done yet and the viability of the chosen sender is not proven but it and the tank might be a starting point. You might also send him a private message and see if there are any updates.

As information, here is an oscilloscope photo showing the output of the bimetal sender.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.17 KB)
209_5a3a79a11d049.jpg 1280X1089 px

Posted on: 2017/12/20 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel gauge ohms for a 1949 Deluxe 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Roger L. Yarger,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '49 Deluxe Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 22:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved