Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 heater not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Let me be a little more elaborate I was driving the car at the middle of november and even though I could hear the blower running no air or heat was coming out of the vent under the dashboard I am wondering if something is blocking the flow of air. does anyone have a diagram of the heater box under the dashboard?

Posted on: 2017/12/21 2:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 heater not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
All you need is hot water & Air. I have found that the air "flapper" control cable can hang up, likely from corrosion? You will find the cable attaches to the heater box's right side & you may be able to manipulate the air door by hand.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2017/12/21 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

WauhopM wrote:
Let me be a little more elaborate I was driving the car at the middle of november and even though I could hear the blower running no air or heat was coming out of the vent under the dashboard I am wondering if something is blocking the flow of air. does anyone have a diagram of the heater box under the dashboard?

First thing you'll want to check is the baffle flap operation that brings outside into the heater. This baffle is located under the black box on the passenger side of your firewall. It is largely composed of a metal flap with rubber edges that rotates in the stovepipe under the heater.

Several things can and DO happen here on Packards from the 1950s....
? Leaves, dirt, debris and even critters like mice can block the baffle flapper and cause it to stick in position.

? The control cable operation from the driver's HVAC controls can become detached from the flapper... or can get bound up or kinked... or just be set in the wrong position to allow air in.

? Flex couplings (similar to what today you'll find on clothes dryer vents) can deteriorate, dislodge or just plain be missing on the heater intake. Always check these since they can also allow potentially dangerous fumes from the engine compartment to enter the HVAC and cabin if missing, dislodged or deteriorated-and they often are, especially after all these years..

For the condition you describe, you'll want to check these items first.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 16:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the under hood flapper is OK I found issue in an earlier 56 with the heat/defrost flapper inside the plenum under the dash. Mine looked like it might have been a folded strip of the tarpaper like cardboard material Packard used in lots of places. It was wrapped around the metal crank part and then stapled in place. Age or whatever had caused the cardboard to crack and would no longer move with the crank. Gravity and air pressure kept it in the down or defrost position..

Posted on: 2017/12/21 17:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved