Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

torsion level system
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello,
when I turn my ignition to the on position before starting the car I hear a rapid clicking sound for about 30-45 seconds then it stops, The sound is coming from the rt front of the car where I believe the torsion electric motor is located.
this sound is heard regardless of the posistion of the underdash on-off switch
Thanks

Posted on: 2017/12/23 11:24
 Top  Print   

Re: torsion level system
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Could also be an electric fuel pump wired for continuous duty.

Posted on: 2017/12/23 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with O_D on the fuel pump and in 55 all the torsion level electrical components except for fuses and the brake and on/off switches are located underneath almost directly below the drivers seat.

For the electric fuel pump the two most common mounting locations are near the mechanical pump location in the right front of engine compt. That is an easy place so it can be plumbed into the hose coming off the steel line under the right side of the radiator. Better and more often is in the rear on the left frame rail cut somewhere in the steel line after it exits the gas tank.

Posted on: 2017/12/23 11:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
So packard used a mechanical pump and an electrical pump on the packard v8's?

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No, just the mechanical pump. Most add the electric as extra insurance in case of vapor lock due to todays more volatile fuel or for cars that sit a long time between starts. They are useful to run a few seconds and prime the carb etc so the engine doesn't need to crank a long time to get gas delivery into the carb before starting. Most of the time they are turned off and just sit ready for use in the conditions described or in an emergency.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense but how is the electric pump turned off?
By a switch inside?

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It depends on how the person wanted it as to if a switch was installed but most of us do have a toggle switch under the dash edge so it can be turned on or off at will.

There have been some installed with an oil pressure switch so the pump turns on automatically when the key is turned and then when the engine starts it turns off. To get the best benefit from the pump with that arrrangement it should have a manual control switch in parallel with the pressure switch or else it could never be turned on if vapor lock conditions warranted.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thank you for the further info. Just assuming but will a Mr gasket electric fuel pump do the job, the one that they sell in most auto stores?

Posted on: 2018/1/11 21:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am not familiar with the Mr Gasket product but if it has specs similar to the Airtex E8012Shttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8012s it should be fine. If the Mr Gasket is a rotary pump then I do not recommend it unless it is plumbed differently because most rotaries do not allow sufficient fuel to pass when the pump is off.

If you are going to add the electric pump in the rear near the tank as most do then the 5-9 PSI of the Airtex 8012s will work well. The 8012 is a solenoid type pump which when off will allow the mechanical pump to pull fuel thru. If it is going to be mounted in front near or replacing the existing mechanical pump then the 8012 pressure might be a bit high and will need a reducer or use of the E8016S instead.

For a 6v car the respective numbers would be the E8011 or the E8902.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.14 KB)
209_5a58224128973.jpg 1796X540 px

Posted on: 2018/1/11 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
The air tech unit cost less than the Mr gasket unit I'm so used to. Thanks God bless you Howard I'll catch you another day.

Attach file:

png  (109.36 KB)
167221_5a5825c6073f8.png 720X1280 px

png  (281.80 KB)
167221_5a5825d7ab806.png 720X1280 px

Posted on: 2018/1/11 22:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved