Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 29

Todd W. White, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front End Wors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Took my Clipper to a front end shop this morning. Found a few things that need to be replaced. King pins seem to be a problem that I'm not sure how to address. Showed obvious wear. Thought and suggestions are needed. Thanks. Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/26 12:33
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Re: Front End Wors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You didn't mention a year but If it is just king pins, IMO the best approach would be to get a king pin kit for both sides and do that alone. Max has the 51-4 standard steering pin and bushing/bearing set at a reasonable cost. He has other kits for the different configurations. If you need a whole front end kit then Kanter might have just the pin and bushing kits but he also has more complete sets which includes king pins and other front end pieces such as tie rod ends among other parts -- but those kits are much more expensive.

If your kit is the type with bushings that need a reamer the proper size is frequently found on ebay. The same size was used in other cars.

Posted on: 2017/12/26 12:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
It is a 53. Needs tie rod ends and one sleeve. The front end guy said the king pins were the problem. Mentioned that I would have to find someone that does those. You mentioned a reamer? Is that what he was referring to most likely?

Posted on: 2017/12/26 13:20

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Whether it needs reaming depends on what is in the kit and for that you would have to receive the kit or else check with the vendor supplying the kit. Max's kit in the link I posted shows needle bearings so nothing other than someone with a press for inserting the bearings into the knuckle would be required. Napa might do it but a machine shop could also do them. That could be just a generic photo on Max's site so you do need to have them in hand or check before shipment to know what is needed. There are some illustrations in the suspension section of SM showing the basic procedure to replace the king or knuckle pins.

If the kit has Oilite bushings, those do not ream but may need burnishing which is a different procedure. Not all do need burnishing though. Old style bushings would need the reaming and probably burnishing too.

Posted on: 2017/12/26 13:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thanks Howard. I appreciate your advice and direction. I ordered the complete deluxe kit from Kanter.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 18:55

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved