Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ross, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
hi everybody...I'm Dan,,new to the group,just wanted to say hi and introduce myself,just got my first Packard and am getting used to it and finding what it needs,,,its a 49 deluxe 8 coupe with unknown mileage.I acquired it from a friend of a friend in Miss a couple of weeks ago.The body and paint are excellent and the interior is good.it has an older restoration from the eighties that's still decent.i drove it home after spending some time with the owner getting it running after sitting a few years.It runs good but has some valve noise but not bad.it drove right home ok ,about 50 miles.The overdrive isn't working so I took it pretty easy,as of now...it pulls to the left esp when hitting brakes,the undercarriage is a mess with old hard dirt and grease,the tailpipe is loose.The main issue tho is the wiring harness...it is in need if serious help!however,everything works but the overdrive,,,right now just cleaning undercarriage,Hope to get o/d working soon..thanks for listening...lots of questions to come I'm sure and any help would be appreciated!yall have a great day!

Posted on: 2017/12/27 16:00
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Re: new member
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome and congratulations on finding your "new" car. I believe you will find a very knowledgeable and congenial group here who will try to answer any of your questions.

Take advantage of the literature section. Almost all the factory literature that was available in the 48-50 period is available for download and some of the pertinent service iarticles are also listed in literature from 51-52 if any significant issues were found and fixes posted.

Provide us with a vehicle number and we can direct you to the appropriate pieces if there are any significant differences. Your 49 could be a 22nd or a 23rd series and there could be some slight changes in wiring and components.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 16:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dan(lowandslow),
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '49 deluxe 8 coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 17:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
will do as soon as I can..will post a few pics...may need some help with the overdrive already...kickdown switch fell apart amd I ordered one from kanter..it looks like an original but the one on the car is aftermarket ive discovered...original one wont fit in bracket hole..plus it came with no mounting nut..guess they thought I had original and I didn't know any bettr,,,lookn into it!

Posted on: 2017/12/27 17:13
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The made for 49 22nd and 23rd series should have the R11 OD but if the car is an unsold and renumbered to 49 early 22nd series the car could have the R9 OD. Different beasts entirely.

The relay on the firewall is an easy way to tell without going under. R11 has a 4 terminal relay with a fuse on the side and a 4 terminal kickdown sw. R9 has a large black 6 terminal relay that looks a lot like the voltage regulator and would have had a 2 terminal kickdown sw. The aftermarket 4 terminal kickdown switch will fit both applications.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 17:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Good luck with your '49 Deluxe. I also have a '48 Deluxe Sedan, R9 overdrive. These are some of the best made post war Packards, even though some don't like the "bathtub" look but I get loads of compliments on mine. I too had to clean my under carrige and engine compartment. The brakes were the first thing tackled. As they were repaired and adjusted , all the wheel bearings were greased and repacked. Change all the fluids. I only burn non ethanol gas with a lead substitute added. I use a special oil that one of the car clubs sells for these old engines. After doing this, all tapping and other noises stopped . Car runs good as new. At least that what the other more experienced antique car owners have told me. Have fun and everything you need to maintain this car can be found here at Packard Info.com.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 18:15
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Low and Slow

Welcome to this friendliest, most knowledgeable, enthusiastic, generous, helpful and civil Packard forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement here standing by to avail yourself of as you tackle every problem. A great deal of historic information is here for the simply filling out your knowledge base.

There are no dumb questions. After all, these cars are all now 60+ years old but fortunately interest in, knowledge of and parts support for remains at high levels. Ask any and all questions that arise, but do a search first which because so many problems have been encountered by others on the same issues, will frequently produce instant answers to the problem at hand.

To document your progress and share it with all of us, please start a project blog in that section. Not only does it make it easier to post your questions but also to find the answers later for reference. Of course, we all like to see how things are progressing too. Check out the other ongoing Project Blogs for ideas as well.

Good luck with your '49 Deluxe Eight. Please show us your Packard and keep us up on your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/28 9:02
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
thanks guys...last night I coated all of the exposed wires with liquid electrical tape...im not real happy with how it looks but feel better about exposed wires causing a problem..hope to do the harness before too long but have never done one so got to get spooled up on that!.Hope it would not be too bad.I think im just gonna tackle the cleaning,brakes, servicing and getting od working first,,,really want that harness done too tho.I think im really gonna love this old car,Have owned several older cars but never a Packard.was always involved in restoring old cars with my dad and have had car sickness since I was a kid!I have a 52 chevy truck im trying to work on too although it is mostly done,It needs some wiring help as well.

Posted on: 2017/12/28 10:22
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Until you can replace the loom just try not to flex it too much. The old fabric and rubber wire is dry and brittle. Flexing will cause the rubber lining to crack and flake off in chunks because the fabric isn't strong enough to retain it. Inside the braided or wrapped portion is no different except the chunks can not go anywhere so just pulverize and can short if an adjacent wire does the same thing.

Several of the repro loom places can duplicate yours with modern vinyl and fabric covered wire but the original style and look looms are expensive. Others have had luck using a modern universal harness. There is at least one place that sells "heavy duty" looms that contain larger gauge wire suitable for 6v. Downside to that approach is the original looms were in sections that plug together and also different depending on factory accessories. If the OD or Electromatic clutch was ordered those wires were built into the loom and would not be present on a modern universal loom so you would need to improvise.

If your car has the black vinyl wrapping that can be duplicated with harness wrap and no one would know the difference except at ends where wire actually shows. If it has the older woven covering then the best option would be to cover with a period looking woven asphalt/fabric sleeve. Not original looking but not terrible either.

Posted on: 2017/12/28 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Welcome!

There are a few things that I would strongly advise a new antique car owner to do:

1. Join Packard Automobile Classics (aka the Packard Car Club). Seehttp://www.packardclub.org/

2. Join regional Packard Clubs, such as Blue Ridge Packards, and any local Packard clubs. Also consider joining the Antique Automobile Club of America, seehttp://www.aaca.org/

3. Join AAA and acquire Premier membership. It costs $131 a year, but with it you get up to 200 miles of free towing. Believe me, this will more than pay for itself!

4. Keep you cell phone fully charged whenever and wherever you go with you car.

You have a great car. Go forth and enjoy it!

Craig

Posted on: 2017/12/28 11:06
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved