Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: new member
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Hi. I have a 1950 Series 23 Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan. One of the big items I had was related to electrical issues such and draining battery for no reason. I found shorts in the loom by measuring the current draw on the battery cable with everything shut off. I bought an original looking repro harness from a good vendor. Then I spent about 6 months installing the harness. Also I installed a kill switch to avoid draining the battery when the car is parked (and also an anti-theft device). I also got a 'Genernator' to produce a charging system that looks correct and works like an alternator.

Based on this experience I was amazed at how much work it takes to install a complete loom. If you choose to do this make sure you list every task that would be made easier if you combined it with the rewiring. I suggest looking at the following:
1. Replace every bulb and fuse during rewiring
2. Buy and install a Genernator
3. If the headliner needs replacing remove it first and install it after rewiring is complete
4. Overhaul and restore every electrical device that you may want to do later
5. Pull the heater and restore it, including testing the core and the temperature controller
6. Restore the lights front and rear
7. If you want to add electrical accessories such as fog lights, backup light, an auxiliary cooling fan, etc. do it along with the rewiring and get the necessary extra wires put into the new loom.

Best of luck with your Packard. It is a great cruiser. If someone calls it a 'bathtub' tell them its a 'streamliner'.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.04 KB)
1492_5a453142f06bc.jpg 980X735 px

jpg  (136.04 KB)
1492_5a45315a2045c.jpg 980X735 px

Posted on: 2017/12/28 13:00
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I'm not really looking forward to it!it looks like someone has done under the dash already.I'm hopeing to get away with just the engine bay rt now

Posted on: 2017/12/28 13:11
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Great looking car. I always liked the 1948-50 Packard.

John

Posted on: 2017/12/28 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Great looking car. I really like the color combination and those outstanding wire wheels.

Posted on: 2017/12/28 14:00
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The paint colors are authentic factory colors. The 2-tone design is copied from factory publicity photos I found on this website. However apparently Packard never produced 2-tone Series 23 cars, probably because they realized the 2-tone costs more than they could sell the option for.

The wire wheels are reproduction Packard wheels. However they are cheap Chinese chrome and the rusted within a couple years. I recently had them black powder coated and that solves the rust problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (162.90 KB)
1492_5a46b2f2f276b.jpg 980X735 px

Posted on: 2017/12/29 16:26
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Welcome to a wonderful web page that has a lot of information. The members are especially great at offering advice and support to your new vice! I have a 53 Clipper that I was thinking about converting to a GM drive train. The members on this page urged me to install an overdrive and keep it Packard stock. Glad I did! Welcome again! Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/30 11:51
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Welcome to a wonderful web page that has a lot of information. The members are especially great at offering advice and support to your new vice! I have a 53 Clipper that I was thinking about converting to a GM drive train. The members on this page urged me to install an overdrive and keep it Packard stock. Glad I did! Welcome again! Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/30 11:52
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Welcome lowandslow, To add to the list MrBumble suggested, I carry a fire extinguisher in all 4 of my cars.......Don't leave home without it.

Posted on: 2017/12/31 17:00
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Fred, your 2 tone Packard is stunning - I love the contrast of the black and is it cream? Very nice indeed!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/31 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I guess the collector car hobby illusion of doing what it took a whole factory to do by one person continues.

Posted on: 2018/1/1 9:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved