Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Brake Pedal / Cluster assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Been working all month on what should have been a quick project, replacing the king pins and bushings. Finally have all that completed including new front wheel bearings and seals when I noticed a puddle of brake fluid under the car. Long story short, had to replace the master cylinder

That went pretty smoothly and even without bleeding the brakes, have a decent pedal. Will bleed the entire system later today before taking it for a test drive, I hope..

I noticed that the brake pedal has a lot of side to side movement. I can't find a diagram of how the pedal cluster mounts to the frame, did find plate that showed the assembly including PN 3.116. On this car, looks like this was fabricated from a piece of threaded rod sometime in its past. The way this was fabricated, however, it is not adjustable.

Lots of caked on dirt and grease under there which I will commence cleaning, but suggestions or diagram on how this assembly is mounted to the frame would be helpful. Hoping it is just a worn bushing that I can find or fabricate.
Ideas anyone?

Thanks !

john

Posted on: 2017/12/29 14:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Brake Pedal / Cluster assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Yep probably bushings. In my super 40 need to fold down carpet and remove screwed on plate behind pedals. Then much easier to understand.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 14:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks for the reply !! Did not know there is a plate under the carpet, will sure be easier to visualize instead of from underneath. I'll keep everyone posted

John

Posted on: 2017/12/29 14:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am not sure how much difference there is between conventional body and 41 and later Clipper pedal mounting so no help there. Just FYI the Clipper has one end in a D shaped hole in the frame and the other end captured by a bracket snugged up against a washer held by a clip in a groove on the shaft. Pedals are kept separated by a strong spring and washers between the pedals pushing them against fixed washers on each end of the shaft.

If your setup is anything similar, one thing I found on my Clipper which had a considerable amount of side to side play on the clutch pedal was a very worn shaft. The bushings themselves were slightly worn but still serviceable. On Clippers there is a single grease fitting on the brake end of the shaft which feeds grease thru a long passage and exits thru holes on the shaft between bushings in the pedals. That single fitting is supposed to take care of both pedals. I surmise the clutch side was not getting grease because the lube person could see grease coming out of the brake pedal area and stopped greasing long before any reached the clutch pedal bushings. If yours has a single fitting you might investigate if the the pedals are getting enough grease.

The Clipper shaft was NLA but I was able to find a precision shaft of the proper diameter at McMaster-Carr. I cut length to fit but because it was hardened did not have the tools to drill the long passage and duplicate the original setup. I elected to add grease fittings to each pedal so grease was still applied between the bushings.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 15:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Howard. I will be taking a look at this soon and will post photos for others as well as how I progress in the diagnosis and repair

Happy New Year

john

Posted on: 2017/12/30 13:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Problem was actually seriously worn holes where the linkages for the clutch connect to the "U" shaped bracket. Pulled the bracket off, welded the holes closed, drilled and reamed the holes to the proper size and all is well. Additionally, instead of being out of adjustment for the clutch pedal, now have about 1.5" of adjustment made available again!

New question, guess I didn't do a great job bleeding the brakes when I replaced the master a couple of month ago. Bled the brakes and they are fine now. However, my helper was a bit anxious and pushed the pedal down before I was able to put the master cylinder reservoir cap back on. Really surprised at the volume of brake fluid that ebbed out. I am used to a small burp or tiny geyser, but this emptied about half of the reservoir. Is that normal? Brakes seem fine and have a good solid pedal

Posted on: 2018/7/20 17:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One time when bleeding the brakes on my 115C with a similar setup I forgot to replace the cap on the MC. Brake fluid spurted out an onto the fender damaging the paint. So yes, there is good volume displaced.

Posted on: 2018/7/22 16:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved