Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Can anyone identify the year?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
This is a vintage photo said to be of Gertrude Olmstead's (an MGM actress) "new" Packard town car. Gertrude retired from acting in 1929 so likely this was taken before that. The bumper is clearly not stock Packard of any year. The wheels look like they're off pre-1928 as they're 6-bolt. The headlights appear to be 1929, but hard to tell. It has no cowl lamps.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.83 KB)
156395_5a513c81044ba.jpg 960X784 px

Posted on: 2018/1/6 16:18
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Can anyone identify the year?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for posting, never seen that photo before. Check that extreme crown on the front fender. Coachbuilt?, if so by whom? Appears to be a rectangular body builders tag in the usual place.

PS: The shape and approximate size of the body tag in the photo conforms to Walter S. Murphy, not that there was much doubt.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.05 KB)
177_5a53a23a5456c.jpg 400X208 px

Posted on: 2018/1/6 16:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Looks like an Hispano-Suiza stork hood ornament

1927 Packard fenders

Attach file:

jpg  (193.28 KB)
1067_5a514a4323d59.jpg 1920X1276 px

Posted on: 2018/1/6 17:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Boy, that stork is magnificent artwork!!

The car is reminiscent of a 6-45 town car by Murphy that I last saw at the PAC national in Danvers (Boston) in 2005. Somewhere I have a poor photo of it, I'll try to find and post later.

Posted on: 2018/1/6 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Walter Murphy Co. is mostly likely the coachbuilder based on the raked, cast, chrome windshield, general cleanly styling and popularity of that coachbuilder with movie celebrities. A telltale it's a '26-'27 343 Eight series is the lack of 'cusp' on the inside of the radiator shell, also too long overall to be a Six. The parabolic headlights mounted on forks, replace the factory drum style, were also found on other upscale cars of the time. That 'cowcatcher' bumper should go back on the Kissel or Willys-Knight where it came from..

The Hispano-Suiza hood ornament was very popular, appeared on a variety of other luxury cars specified by the owners.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/1/7 11:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Maybe that triple bumper was needed as she liked to take it out herself now and then?

Posted on: 2018/1/7 12:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's some 645 Murphy Town Car photos, the first taken at the PAC National in Danvers MA in 2005, and the other at the Packard Centennial in 1999. That's noted prewar Classic Packard historian Jim Pearsall at the wheel in the first photo. The Murphy-trademark windshield casting and rake is unmistakable. Also note the dipped or lowered front door sills, not a feature on the car that started this thread. Whether these cars in the photos are in fact the same car, I don't know. Photos by this writer.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.32 KB)
177_5a528eb35321f.jpg 1500X1005 px

jpg  (163.04 KB)
177_5a528ed0b50cc.jpg 1206X793 px

Posted on: 2018/1/7 16:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
This car looks very familiar to me. I recall seeing Bud Juneau photographing it out at the Timing Stand at the Packard Proving Grounds during one of the PAC National Meets - cannot remember which meet it was 2006 or 2013.

Several years after the meet that car was on the cover of The Cormorant, or was it the CNB? Believe there was an article about the car in that edition. If someone can look in their library, then maybe we could learn more.

Posted on: 2018/1/8 9:06
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Which car, Roger? The one in the B&W photo in post #1 that started this thread, or the one(s) in post #7?

Posted on: 2018/1/8 11:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello OD:

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about the photos you posted in #7 - the Murphy-bodied car.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2018/1/8 16:06
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved