Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

speedster1930, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery hold down
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Is there an available photo showing the correct
battery hold down for my 55 400
Also can anyone recommend one for the car
Using a group 27 battery
Thanks again everyone

Posted on: 2018/1/8 12:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Battery hold down
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I have a frame that is supposed to go on top of the battery, but I can't find the rods that are supposed to screw the frame/battery down. Like you say, to make this work you have to use a hard-to-get battery group.

After a while I decided, screw it, and bought a high-output battery and used a heavy duty strap to hold it in place. In my humble opinion, it is a lot better to have a great battery in your car than one that is period correct -- especially if you intend to drive your car.

After all, who really cares one iota about a battery hold down anyway as long as whatever you have really works!

Posted on: 2018/1/8 13:03
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, there is a good photo, page 1 of the electrical section of the shop manual. Also, see these photos of an original battery hold down.

Don't know if they still do but NAPA used to offer a universal battery hold down kit, you could alter/adjust the lengths of all 4 sides to suit your battery size, and place the hold down pieces for the bolts wherever they needed to be. It makes a neat and tidy installation.

Attach file:

jpg  (229.94 KB)
177_5a53ba1d1a797.jpg 1228X1597 px

Posted on: 2018/1/8 13:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I have a frame that is supposed to go on top of the battery, but I can't find the rods that are supposed to screw the frame/battery down.

The Dorman 00580 flattened J shape rods work well with the 55-56 battery tray.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-00580/overview/ They are 10 inches long so will need to be shortened by a couple of inches.

Quote:
Is there an available photo showing the correct
battery hold down for my 55 400
Also can anyone recommend one for the car
Using a group 27 battery

Finding the proper look holder for a group 27 may be more difficult. I wasn't able to find the universal adjustable type O_D mentioned locally but I know they used to be available and probably still are. At 13+ inches the Packard tray is also sized for an even longer group 30-31 or so battery

I wound up buying a different type holder without the edge that goes across the top length of the battery and opted for one that just clamped across the end width with the rods and only a band along the sides to hold it square. It was for a shorter battery so to make one to fit a longer battery I bought two and cut and welded the sides as necessary to fit the gr 30-31 battery.

Here is a group 24 55-6 Chevy holder that has what I believe is very close to the correct look but would need to have the same cut 2 and weld treatment to fit the longer battery or else cut one in half with sheet metal filling the space. You would also need to make it longer than the group 27 length to fit the tray locations for the rods unless you opt to drill thru the tray bottom and make a new set of mounting holes. There are bolts such as the 47 used that are more like long carriage bolts which could be adapted if you wanted to do something like that.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dck-312/overview/

The Chevy tray comes with J bolts but the flat ended Dorman 00580 works better with the Packard tray. Depending on the actual gr 27 length the straighter ended Chevy J bolts might be long enough to slide and hold in the Packard tray slots from the battery side direction.

Posted on: 2018/1/8 14:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Group 27 is to square.

Group 29.works better.. With some shaving of corners..Packards strap will work.

Posted on: 2018/1/9 1:10
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I know I'm replying to an old post but just came up with the same question. I do have originals at my Oregon shop but I am not there right now. At least one of the dealers sells standard j-bolts which won't work as the Packard takes the type with the flattened end which, as I recall, is at least a half inch wide so that the force is evened out across the stamped notch on the battery tray. Anything narrower than the notch (especially if it's round) will probably damage it when tightened. I'll post a tray photo momentarily.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 1/15 17:19
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved