Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Daniel Leininger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 20th September, 2018

Gary visited today and picked up the parts from Les for his '48 Sedan, including fuel tank, headlight bucket, trim spear, grill whisker, rusty rear shocks, old very rusty brake and fuel lines(these only for patterns), etc, etc. I passed onto Gary an air cleaner assembly and the shocks off the Limo chassis(much better condition than the others). Gary was also looking for direction on a number of parts he didn't know where they went in completing the jig-saw that his Packard came as, including the upright front stays from the front of the chassis to the radiator collar. I was also able to pull a bumper bolt he was missing "from the shelf", didn't think I'd ever be able to utter that phrase and provide 4 wheel lug bolts. I've only got 3 lug bolts holding on each of the Limo's wheels so there were some spares!

Gary had driven the 800kms in his 70's Ford XB GT Falcon Hardtop Coupe. This is an Aussie "Muscle Car" with 351 Cleveland V8 and 4 speed manual trans and they are now a very sought after car. Accompanying Gary was Joe, his very well behaved dog, see photo. Gary has offered to provide a Packard breakdown service, of course within a reasonable distance of his home, next year when we travel to/from our National Rally. Thank you Gary

Attach file:

jpg  (194.62 KB)
226_5ba310e0d9501.jpg 1920X850 px

jpg  (210.46 KB)
226_5ba310f3d61d0.jpg 1920X780 px

Posted on: 2018/9/19 22:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Also found earlier references of yours to the Martin & King Mourning Coach in this old thread.

Posted on: 2018/9/20 2:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
HH56 wrote: Interesting on the motor mount but sure doesn't look like something I would think is a factory job......

Quote:
HH56 wrote: My 47 356 engine mount bolts directly onto the crossmember with no extensions. Along with the front mount the 356 engine has two small stabilizer brackets on either side which the smaller engines do not have. Those brackets are located about where the bolts into the crossmember are located for your extended mounts. I wonder if the setup you have is something for export or right hand drive cars or if it was common to all 22-23 series. Anyone have a 22-23 US left hand drive motor mount photo to share?

Howard,

Remembered that Keith(PackardV8) has a '48 Chassis in the Registry. Hard to see but the setup looks the same as on my two.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.39 KB)
226_5ba96f9a740b5.jpg 351X235 px

Posted on: 2018/9/24 18:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
O_D for the photo in Post #2 in this thread which shows the "flying buttress" brackets on which the front engine mount sits.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 15:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 4th December, 2018

Last Sunday was our Packard Club's annual Christmas Lunch. This year at the Atura at Blacktown. Almost exactly a 200 km round trip which, with the forecast weather conditions, I thought would be a good test for the Packard. Reason being a temp of 34C was forecast and I wanted to see how the Packard would handle that. Well it handled it well on the way there. Sat at about 3/4 going up to Hot on arrival. But, did NOT boil. Checked the radiator before leaving Atura and no loss of coolant evident. Return trip was going well till, 42 kms from home, the Packard spluttered to a stop. Pulled off the motorway, tried to restart, turned over easily but did not fire. Checked for fuel, plenty. But noticed the electric fuel pump wasn't ticking away - the previous owner having converted to 12V, adding an electric pump and bypassing the mechanical pump. Presume there is problem with the mechanical pump so even if I could reconnect it, it probably wouldn't work. Rang the NRMA(Our local road service provider) with a tilt tray tow truck(rollback) arriving about 2&1/2 hours later, I'd broken down "out in the country". Had the tow truck drop the Packard in front of my local repairer, WJR Automotive, less then a kilometer from home. Next morning, armed with the mechanical pump Wade rebuilt for me months back but not installed, John advised he'll replace the bypassed mechanical pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (264.78 KB)
226_5c05e467cd46c.jpg 1920X1030 px

jpg  (325.92 KB)
226_5c05e474ee729.jpg 1920X1646 px

jpg  (269.73 KB)
226_5c05e4883e184.jpg 1842X1408 px

jpg  (160.56 KB)
226_5c05e492d9a65.jpg 1920X822 px

Posted on: 2018/12/3 21:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Anxiously awaiting news that the mechanical pump solved the problem! I hope so.

Posted on: 2018/12/3 22:33

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 5th December, 2018

Turns out the electric pump wasn't the problem. It was a relay in the circuit which had failed. John replaced the Relay and now all is good. The mechanical pump install will be done in the New Year because John has a lot of work lined up which needs to be finished before Christmas - I can live with that. But, while the Packard was in John's custody, had him remove the old M/C cap and replace it with the cap off the M/C from the 2222 chassis. Reason being I couldn't get the old cap off, so haven't been able to check the fluid level which, as it turns out, was full. And the reasons I couldn't loosen the M/C cap 1) It's bloody hard to get to over the mudguard(fender), probably easier if you have a hoist, and 2) It was the type with very thin sheet metal tabs on top which I couldn't get any grip on to be able to turn it (Like in the pic below I 'stole' off eBay). The 2222 M/C cap has a big square lug on its top which I'll be able to loosen with a spanner(wrench). While doing the M/C cap repacement John found the fluid probably should be replaced and the M/C itself needs to be resleeved. Will check the 2222's M/C to see if it's a bolt-in replacement and then have it S/S resleeved if it is. Will also have John perform some other work while the car's in his hands. Actually should work out well as our Packard National Rally to Warrnambool, about 1,000kms each way is coming up in March next year. Oh....another thing, John found the alternator is charging at about 18V, no wonder I was topping up the battery on a more than regular basis. If I can find a replacement alternator I'll do it myself, otherwise it'll be off to the local Auto Electrician.

Attach file:

jpg  (289.61 KB)
226_5c07099851a81.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (209.81 KB)
226_5c0709ad25e19.jpg 1920X1025 px

jpg  (17.98 KB)
226_5c070ad6c9c96.jpg 500X292 px

Posted on: 2018/12/4 18:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 6th December, 2018

Dropped the Packard off to Dave at D & M Auto Electric this morning for rectification of the overcharging alternator. And picked up the Packard mid afternoon with the alternator repaired, apparently the internals were "cooked" as well as the inbuilt regulator "fried". Believe those are technical terms auto electricians use. All good now.

Attach file:

jpg  (258.57 KB)
226_5c08e8cab3fa7.jpg 1920X958 px

Posted on: 2018/12/6 4:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Afternoon Mal...It looks/sounds like you are still sorting the old girl out...funny the way they only show us one or two problems at a time...I think they want to show us how important they are by constantly giving us something to think about. We've had Miss Prudence six years now, and she still gives us a reminder once in a while of just how important she considers herself! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/12/6 14:45
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 11th December, 2018

Took the master cylinder off the Limo chassis and dropped it into John @ WJR Autmotive for resleeving.

Attach file:

jpg  (705.35 KB)
226_5c0f17de3e194.jpg 1920X1918 px

Posted on: 2018/12/10 20:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved