Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looking at the photos taken in the eighties(?) there are no backup lights or a spotlight/rearview mirror. So these accessories appear to have been added to the car in the last 30 years.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.92 KB)
226_5a937e275e973.jpg 1257X831 px

jpg  (80.67 KB)
226_5a937e521fad0.jpg 735X551 px

jpg  (86.33 KB)
226_5a937e72dbfe1.jpg 1056X780 px

jpg  (52.99 KB)
226_5a937f4410207.jpg 779X584 px

Posted on: 2018/2/25 22:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder why the backup lights were installed in that high position rather than lower near the bumper and closer to the guards like the template shows. I believe you mentioned some lights you installed on your 41 had to be in certain places. Is there something on the backup lights too?

Posted on: 2018/2/25 23:21
Howard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 27th February, 2018

Frank, the guy who bought my Coupe dropped by today. When I say dropped by, it's only 290km each way! The reason for doing so? So he could "return" some stuff I'd given him with the Coupe. After all I was never going to have another Packard, so what did I need jack stands and other stuff for? They certainly are going to come in handy now and will get a workout, in the next few days, when I change the oil for one thing. Also dropping in was Geoff, another Packard owner and good friend of Franks. Geoff only had to make a mere 60km each way trip.

Before they arrived I'd topped up the front shocks the left side took about 10mls and the right side about 20+mls. With what was added on Sunday both sides now have about 50+ml more than before. Because of the shock re-fill and to also to fill up with fuel, went for a run with the boys. Fuel gauge was sitting at about the 1/4 mark and it took almost 52 litres of 91 straight unleaded to fill. With the Eight fuel tank having a capacity of 17 US gallon, or about 65 litres, 52 litres is pretty close to 3/4 of a tank so I have some confidence the fuel gauge is reasonably accurate. A pleasant surprise was the "whistling fill", wasn't expecting it when it happened. I'd read about it here but never previously experienced it. A nice feature to have on your Packard. The run also permitted the re-re-filled shocks to settle in again, and it does ride better than yesterday. Will check again tomorrow and repeat if necessary.

I was also able, on the run, to hand over driving duties to Frank and Geoff. They both were pleased and impressed with how well the car handled and ran. Seems I made the right decision in purchasing the Packard!

"I believe you mentioned some lights you installed on your 41 had to be in certain places. Is there something on the backup lights too?"

Howard,

You may either be referring to the turn indicator lights I added to the Coupe or, less likely, the front compartment courtesy lights. If the indicator lights, I just positioned them as far to each side as possible. Believe, but don't quote me, there are limitations as to how close together these can be. If the courtesy lights, these(I think?) came mounted to the bottom edge of the dash. When I had the kick panels out found there was a perfectly sized round hole in the framing the kick panels mount to, so mounted them in those holes. Meant I had to punch a round hole in each kick panel and fit a rubber grommet which worked perfectly.

I too wonder why the reversing lights are mounted where they are. Have no documentation but they don't look at all in keeping with the style of a bathtub. Look more like bulbous eyes! I am considering removing them.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.26 KB)
226_5a9515b4c4cd2.jpg 1139X599 px

Posted on: 2018/2/27 3:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mal, just for reference here is the official install instructions for the backup lights. Only bad thing if you decide to remove them now is holes you would need to fill but you might be able to get some small reflectors or chrome buttons that would disguise and cover the holes.

I do think the pair of backup lights would look better and still function well if moved down to their regular location at the side of the license plate but that is just my opinion. Normally there is only a single light but a pair with one on either side of the license has been put on other cars and looks quite good. I think there may even be a photo in the archive of one such install.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.20 KB)
209_5a956eb3e443c.jpg 1056X848 px

jpg  (92.89 KB)
209_5a956ecc0b09d.jpg 848X1104 px

Posted on: 2018/2/27 9:46
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Mal,

I don't think they would look out of place if they pointed in instead of pointing out like they do. Maybe something could be done with the base so the housing would be at an angle like the tail lights.

Joe

Posted on: 2018/2/27 12:14

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 28th February, 2018

Checked front shocks and added about 5ml to left and about 15ml to right. Reason being that the right side has a leaking seal. For the time being will keep an eye on it and top up as required.

Also changed the oil, that's where the jack stands delivered yesterday came in handy. The oil used? Valvoline, you know what I mean. However it isn't as easy as it was with the Coupe. With the Coupe you jacked the front of the car up with the jack under front crossmember where it slotted in like it was made for it. Also the jack stands were placed where the frame forks. With this Packard the underside of the front cross member is different and the frame drops so jack stands had to be placed aft. All that reminds me of one of the reasons I sold the Coupe. This old body struggles getting under and out from under cars. Need a hoist!

After that went for another short run. Shocks seem better still and no oil leaks.

Howard, Thanks for the reversing light instructions.

Joe, Thanks for the thoughts.

Don't know yet what I'll do. Still contemplating.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.99 KB)
226_5a963ccd95520.jpg 641X599 px

Posted on: 2018/2/28 0:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
You probably already know where the reverse light should go, but here is where mine is located. I don't know if this placement is stock or not, but the light does say "Packard" on top.

Posted on: 2018/2/28 1:13

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul,

Your photo doesn't seem to have stuck and both my lights have Packard on top. Also, when the blokes were here yesterday they discovered the spotlight is marked Ford!

Posted on: 2018/2/28 2:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Has the gearshift gotten any better on the last few drives?

John

Posted on: 2018/2/28 9:51

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Gearshift is now "excellent". Howard's advice of a few drops of oil into the little hole near the bottom of the column certainly did the trick. That plus some practice and learning to understand its operation. Now its just push the lever up from first, left the spring loading take the lever over, then push it up into second. And voil?!

Posted on: 2018/2/28 13:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved