Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

48 Deluxe Body Mounts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Hello - I have been doing some searching for information about body mounts/brackets. It looks as though most of mine are rotted through. Curious if there are replacements? I have searched but have not turned up any results. Possible to replace with the body on?

Would appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 19:19
1948 Packard 2262 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan ? "Clara Belle"
1964 Rambler Classic 550 ? "Ramona"

Wishlist: 1939 Graham Spirit of Motion, Shark nose
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 Deluxe Body Mounts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Conceivably you could replace the cushions with the body in place as long as you loosened all the body bolts so none would present a bind and then had a method such as a floor jack or similar and some kind of support at the body to raise the area where you were working and then replaced one or two at a time. Not an easy undertaking IMO.

Unlike the 51-56 models, I don't believe anyone reproduces the exact 48-50 factory type rubber cushion material. Clipper style 42-50 bodies used thicknesses of reinforced rubber material that was square with different size holes. Metal shims in different thicknesses were used along with the rubber for added adjustment in those areas needing some fine tuning.

The 48-50 models use 3/8 and 5/8 thick material. Kanter sells 2' long strips of reinforced rubber material for use as body cushions which needs to be cut and drilled but he doesn't mention the thickness. McMaster-Carr sells a reinforced conveyor belt material in 3/8 thickness very similar to the material Packard used but no 5/8. For the 5/8 thickness you could get some 3/8 belting and some 1/4 reinforced rubber to make up the 5/8 thickness. You would still need to cut and drill each cushion.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#2009n1/=1buepfh
https://www.mcmaster.com/#8698k75/=1bueq6n

If you have an industrial supply house locally perhaps they would have some conveyor belting that could be used. Sometimes they have scraps and might even have some in a good thickness.

Attach file:

jpg  (200.48 KB)
209_5a9deada95fe4.jpg 1248X1378 px

Posted on: 2018/3/5 20:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Thanks Howard. More specifically the metal body hold downs themselves are rusted/rotted. Are these available for purchase anywhere or even replaceable? I will see if I can get some photos to better illustrate what I am looking for.

Found this in the Parts List

BRACKET-BODY HOLD DOWN

Attach file:

png  (100.18 KB)
172830_5a9deea2c6d02.png 527X213 px

Posted on: 2018/3/5 20:28

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the hold downs are all riveted on and generally not something that is replaced today but they can be removed and new ones installed with bolts. If anyone would have them it would most likely be Kanter but I would not count on it. The solution will probably be someone with a parts car that would be willing to remove them with a cold chisel.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Excuse my ignorance here. I climbed under there and the hold downs are okay, it is what is mounted to them that is rotted. See photo.

Attach file:

png  (1,278.88 KB)
172830_5a9df27867ac7.png 1024X760 px

Posted on: 2018/3/5 20:44

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That looks like a cross brace and portion of the sill that is seriously rusted. If there are a lot of areas like that I don't know how cost effective it would be in trying to repair them. If you are one of the gifted body and sheetmetal guys that are on the site then surely doable but if you need to have it done at a repair shop it would cost $$$. Whether it would be worth it depends on how much you like the car and what else needs doing.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.07 KB)
209_5a9df8d0c1bc7.jpg 1168X982 px

jpg  (92.41 KB)
209_5a9df8d9be8ea.jpg 758X1260 px

Posted on: 2018/3/5 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Thanks for the pics Howard. I am not one of those skilled metal guys, yet. At some point I will replace the outer and inner rockers.

I plan to continue to get her road-worthy and then focus on cosmetics.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 21:36

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Icescreamer,
A few points not to be taken as criticism and offered respectfully.....
I'm aware of 2/3 Packard owners that bought a Packard and found similar issues that you have. In two cases, the owners decided to start with interior work (so car would look good) and one did paint after the interior. Both owners had decided to take care of the cosmetics before they moved on to the engine, trans, brakes, dash, gas system, electricals, etc. The cost of the interior was probably in the 5K range and the paint job/body work was 10K. The cars looked okay, but didn't have any of the mechanicals taken care of. Both owners, found that they had done the restoration backwards and the potential cost of the work needed to get the car to a state of mechanical reliability was UUUge!! My point:

They dumped a bunch of $$ into the car and neither car could move on its own merits.

The potential cost of what laid ahead to fix the car far outstripped their resources and probably could have used the same $$ to buy a primo already restored car.

Consequently, the $$'s spent was for naught, both cars lost favor with their owners and languish becoming mute testimony of a nice looking car that doesn't run and can't be sold to cover the costs for interiors and paint.

Posted on: 2018/3/6 14:49
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Page 2. Sorry to be so long winded......
additional:
Take stock of everything that needs to be done by a thorough investigation, disassembly, etc., then assess the project.

Given in the spirit of: Been there, done that.

Best Regards
Steve

Posted on: 2018/3/6 14:53
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If, as you say, "most" of the body mounts are "rotted", your car may have serious structural issues. Replacing the rubber won't correct that. Depending how bad, it may not be safe to drive as is.
Properly repairing the under structure and pan metal is not a buy parts, bolt in, type of fix. It's a large commitment of hours of skilled body work. Not to scare but be aware.

Posted on: 2018/3/15 20:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved