Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

23rd Series Trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Does anyone know whether the Packard factory sprayed the inside of 23rd Series trunks with undercoating? I can't tell whether what I'm finding is from the factory or part of a previous restoration.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2018/3/6 17:10
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series Trunk
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On the sides the surfaces are flocked, not undercoated at least in the "senior" models.

Posted on: 2018/3/6 17:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They used flocking on the sides and maybe the floor but the exact color is a question. It was a sort of tan in prewar years but some have said by 23rd they were more in a tan/gray blend and started going with grayish/brown by the early 50s models.

The modern flocking materials are a much finer fiber than what Packard used but the result is OK. Nylon is a coarser fiber than rayon but is still much finer than the original.http://www.flockit.com

The lower end models had a thin mat on the floor to go with the flocking. It is a question on whether the entire floor was flocked under the mat but on mine it looked like it may have been going by some of the residue next to creases in the floorpan. The Custom models had a full carpet treatment over the flocking although I am not sure that holds for the 23rd Customs which seems to have been somewhat downscale from the 22nd and earlier.

Here is what the modern nylon flocking material looks like applied on my 47. Due to the original's condition it was a guess on the color and maybe not quite what Packard used. There are several colors to choose from.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.46 KB)
209_5a9f1d379e878.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.26 KB)
209_5a9f1d46a70cc.jpg 1280X657 px

Posted on: 2018/3/6 18:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My old 23rd Series Custom 8 was a fairly late car. Sides of the trunk compartment were flocked, a medium tan. Trunk floor had a rather thin darker tan carpet, though calling it carpet is being kind to it -a rather cheesy, flimsy almost Burtex-like material. If a Custom 8 is the car in question I have a photo of the trunk interior somewhere.

Posted on: 2018/3/6 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thanks for all the replies. I just bought this car. It is a 1949 Deluxe Eight, so lower-end applies, and it has the thin trunk mat. This is a 29,000-actual-mile car and was owned for a while by the Volo Museum. It was purchased from them and sat in an unheated garage for 25 years. Not sure who decided to undercoat the trunk interior, but I'm in the process of chipping it all off. The trunk floor is still solid, but I'm finding moisture under the undercoating in some places. I may look into the flocking, and I'll probably go for a non-authentic fitted and bound carpet.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 0:38
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I just bought this car. It is a 1949 Deluxe Eight"

Steve,

Wait, what's that I hear? Why it's the siren sound of the Packard Owner's Registry calling to your '49 Deluxe Eight to be included.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 1:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I nearly forgot about the Registry. Glad you are doing that, and thanks for the reminder. I just added the car.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 9:06
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure who decided to undercoat the trunk interior, but I'm in the process of chipping it all off.

It may not be undercoating but rather the adhesive for the flocking. The modern fiber from FlockIt uses a colored material as adhesive that matches the flock color and is almost paint like in consistency. The old adhesive may have been different because of the need to hold the larger fibers. Packard refers to it as synthetic varnish or just adhesive but on the 47 it was quite thick in some areas -- thick enough to shrink and crack.

Packard was very proud of using things they touted as "modern scientific materials" for reducing noise and drumming of sheetmetal. It is conceivable they could have had a similar consistency material to hold the flock fibers.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 10:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I nearly forgot about the Registry.... I just added the car."
Shock, horror! How can anyone forget about the Registry? That aside, for including your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 14:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Further Steve for also including your '47 Clipper Six Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. I like the colour, even though it may not be correct.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 21:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved