Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Random questions about 51-56's, Ultramatics and A/C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
When the torque converter was invented in the 1940s it seemed like the engineer's ideal of a gas powered car that drove as smoothly and easily as a steam or electric, was in sight.

The torque converter would not only slip like a fluid coupling, it would actually multiply torque like a gear ratio. Most had a maximum torque multiplication of 2.6:1 at stall which was like having an extra gear ratio.

By taking advantage of this they believed the ultimate smoothness could be achieved, taking off from a stop and accelerating up to cruising speed with NO gear shifting either manual or automatic.

All the early torque converter transmissions were built this way. Not only Packard Ultramatic but Buick Dynaflow, Chevrolet Powerglide and Chrysler Powerflite. They all started off in high gear for normal driving, but they all had a low gear that could be manually selected for emergencies or extra takeoff power.

As the horsepower race hotted up, the demand was for more power and acceleration. This led Packard to redesign their transmission to start off in low gear and shift to high. For obvious reasons, they called it the Gear Start transmission.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"I love everything my 48 Custom Club sedan offers, but though I haven't gotten it driveable yet, I already know it lacks some more modern features that can make touring a little easier and dare I say it, pleasurable. Power brakes, power steering, power windows, A/T, air conditioning."

Wait till you get your car on the road. Check all front end parts for wear, fill up the shock absorbers with hydraulic jack fluid fit bias ply tires pumped up to 32PSI and get a front end alignment done. I know people who have done this on cars of the forties and fifties, and it took away all desire for power steering, for a fraction of the cost. Your car will steer and drive easily as long as it is moving. Only when at a dead stop is the steering hard. And then the secret is to get it moving, even slightly, and the steering will turn easily.

If you want power brakes a remote booster can be added.

Air conditioning, there are companies like Vintage Air that offer air conditioning for your car. A modern system much better and more efficient than they had in the fifties, made to look at home in older cars.

Power windows, if your windows are too hard to operate suggest you remove the door panels and lubricate the mechanism. It would be possible to convert to power windows but more trouble than it is worth.

In all cases, suggest you get the car on the road and try it out. You will probably find that driving a Packard is not such a hardship as you imagine. Or at least, that you can bear up under the strain of hand cranking your windows if the alternative will cost thousands of $$$$ bucks.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Some years ago I bought a compendium of postwar Packard roadtests by the major auto magazines of the times. It was called "Packard Gold Portfolio" and I think it was published by Brooklands but my copy is more than 4000 miles away just this moment. I would recommend a copy for anyone who wants to get a great overview of the postwar offerings and their competitive position.

I recall the 51 200 and the 55 Constellation got very warm reviews and I can only concur in 45 years of Packard driving. The latter test was headed "Why Packard is America's finest road car".

Posted on: 2018/3/7 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Air conditioning, there are companies like Vintage Air that offer air conditioning for your car. A modern system much better and more efficient than they had in the fifties, made to look at home in older cars.

This is a good option if you pick up a 55 or 56 but if you have your heart set on a 54 or earlier then to the best of my knowledge there are no modern systems that will work out of the box unless you convert the car to 12v. It seems that 6v AC systems or components are about as extinct as dinosaurs.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 23:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The comment on 6V AC out of the box is I believe unfortunately correct. Packard probably sold more prewar AC than anybody but those systems are very hard to find,

Most of an AC system is mechanical, not electrical. So the 6V is really about the fan and the method of compressor engagement if any and ice prevention

As far as power steering, keep in mind that most late fifties cars' power steering systems are very overboosted by modern standards. Chrysler products were particularly known for this. I've had a 56 DeSoto with power steering and a 57 Olds without, and I preferred the steering on the Olds. How much parallel parking do you really do in an old car?

Posted on: 2018/3/8 10:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most of an AC system is mechanical, not electrical. So the 6V is really about the fan and the method of compressor engagement if any and ice prevention

Very true. Aside from figuring out your compressor mount and belt drive the other problem is electrical. Aside from air delivery, the other issue is today all ice prevention is done by the clutch turning the compressor on and off.

If you get a bare bones non electronic control under dash or trunk setup with a single blower wheel and resistance speed control the fan motor may be able to be changed out to a 6v universal heater motor. Some fixed 3 speed as well as resistance speed 12v blower motors will also work on 6v but at a reduced speed. In either case there are some sacrifices as far as power and ultimate air volume delivery. Units with modern solid state electronic control for blower speed and temp control cannot be used..

Heater motors are a bit smaller than AC motors and are only single shaft. For a typical underdash unit with dual wheels there seems to be no 6v double shaft motors made. You either need to get creative in driving dual wheels with a single shaft or use a single wheel unit or get one of the units that have a motor that can work at 6v.

The Sanden compressor clutches will pull in at about 7.2 volts or so and if the generator is functioning at its normal output of approx 7.4v several have reported the clutches will pull in and work satisfactorily. While several have reported seeing 6v cars with modern AC systems installed, to the best of my knowledge none of the people with one of the 12v systems working on 6v has given specifics as to what unit they have or what might have been done to make it fully functional.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 10:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Rusty gives good advice: get your Custom Eight into dependable, drivable condition and experience the car as Packard built it first before even considering modernizing anything. Other than withstanding summer heat, the intrinsic fine qualities with cancel any desire to 'upgrade'.

When driving non-power steering car, as my father taught me, "if you're turning the steering wheel, your wheels better be turning". Brakes need to be correctly adjusted in top condition, driven with the anticipation that other drivers don't understand the braking capabilities that older cars have. No add-on power assist will overcome that.

In today's traffic, visibility of turning and braking lights are much more of an issue. Relatively tiny 6V lights are nearly invisible in bright sunlight. Measures to project more light such as polished reflector backings for the lights and tasteful period-style auxiliary additional lights are a must. High-mounted brake lights in the rear window are a good idea as well.

Experience your fine, rare '48 Custom Eight club sedan as Packard built it, you'll be glad you did.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/3/8 12:58
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
I prefer to describe the acceleration as "Stately".

Posted on: 2018/3/8 20:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Does anyone in this esteemed group own a '55-'56 Packard with a functional Lehigh air conditioning system?
I know that the stunning '56 Patrician that Robert Fordyce restored in the early 2000s was running, but I can't say I have known a lot of people with cars having this system in service.
My thought these days is that the Classic air system, with the Sanden compressor and Mark V style box on the trans hump for the evaporator core and fan is probably a good way to go if you start with a (more plentiful) non-AC equipped car.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone in this esteemed group own a '55-'56 Packard with a functional Lehigh air conditioning system?

I don't own one but have a friend who owned (since sold) a '56 Patrician with factory air that functioned reliably and COLD. If you need more info, send me a PM.

Dave

Posted on: 2018/3/9 12:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved