Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

valve guide
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
While driving out exhaust valve guide today the top part shattered down to the block.now has jagged edges..do i just continue on or is there something else I need to do?guide is refusing to move..49 288any help greatly appreciated

Posted on: 2018/3/16 15:40
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print 

Re: valve guide
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Could I have a block with guide made into block that requires reaming ?if so I've trashed my block..have not four d any info on that..needing guidance...thanks

Posted on: 2018/3/16 16:30
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, you have removable guides, not intergral.

You might be able to use an end mill to square up the broken face of the guide and then resume using a proper guide drift and driving it down and out. Alternatively you might think about making a rig to pull the guide out from the top - Studebaker and Chrysler used such techniques. I've been successful with both approaches.

How did you break it? And if you driving it down and out, don't forget to protect the valve seat from an errant hammer blow.

Posted on: 2018/3/16 17:19
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I'm sure by using improper punch...the edges are jagged and I can't c a definite edge of the guide where it broke..thanks for the encouragement...I read there are some engines with non removable guides...wondering if I was one of the lucky ones...have not seen anything on that...thanks a lot!

Posted on: 2018/3/16 17:34
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Non-removable guides pertains to the 55/56 V8 engines. I wouldn't consider myself lucky to have one, you either have to ream and buy valves with oversized stems, or convert to removable guides. But it is a lot easier to take a cylinder head to a machine shop than an engine block.

Search this site or the PAC forum for valve guide drifts and you'll find a KD tool number as well as commentary and dimensions for making a drift. The right tool makes the job easier.

Posted on: 2018/3/16 17:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
I saw those on the forums..googled the numbers but didn't find them..ordered one from goodson today.i think the one I had was too small dia and noticed it had a taper at the step...this is my first try at a guide and in not doing to good!makes me realize proper tooling is most important and I should no that...I really appreciate the advice...unfortunately I don't have access to an end mill and engine is in the car...we haves machine e shop at work but don't like asking the machinist to do things for me...ill just carry on i guess with different driver...I'm paranoid to hit on the guide to hard..I've destroyed enough already..lol

Posted on: 2018/3/16 17:56
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You mentioned the guide stopped. Any chance it bottomed out or were you using a chisel to break the bottom off for clearance as it was driven down?

Posted on: 2018/3/16 17:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
No...it hasn't moved...just broken apart at block level...that's why I thought I may have one that was not removable...I've done a lot of reading on it but not as easy as it sounds in the manuals...I'm just sit n on it right now deciding what to do next

Posted on: 2018/3/16 18:06
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This might be helpful.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=862

And illustrations of suitable guide drifts. The large one with the broken tip is the commercial KD-815, the others are those I made up over the years. Note you need a nice crisp and flat shoulder to properly face the top edge of the guide.

Attach file:

jpg  (320.33 KB)
177_5aac52dad6ed4.jpg 1500X1798 px

Posted on: 2018/3/16 18:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Thank u!I've seen this post...I tried to find that kd number with no luck...ill dig a bit more...appreciate it!

Posted on: 2018/3/16 18:43
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved