Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: valve guide
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
What's the od of that driver?...I've found a few online.

Posted on: 2018/3/16 19:00
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are 2 diameters that are important. The smallest must fit nicely into the bore of the guide so its diameter is about the same as in intake valve stem. The diameter of the second section must be small enough go fit into the guide bore in the block and yet give maximum contact with the top face of the guide, and that section should be long enough to allow the guide to be driven fully out. Search around, I've given these dimensions before, or just make your own measurements. And any decent machine shop should be able to make you one in 30 minutes.

Posted on: 2018/3/16 19:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok thank u much!

Posted on: 2018/3/16 19:28
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok guys..got that bad guide out!!wasn't bad with the right driver!I did find some damage to the block tho.inspecting after removal of guide I found where a bolt from the front of the block in the water pump area has come thru the block and chipped a spot out...this engine was rebuilt in 1983 and I guess they put to long of a bolt in and chipped the block on the inside behind the valve spring area right in the corner of the casting.I guess I'm gonna leave it alone...don't c a crack..just a chip and a thread hole...it's a hard place to c..

Posted on: 2018/3/20 20:34
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Byproduct of a careless mechanic, seen it before and it will happen again I'm sure. Water pump bolts are different lengths for a reason.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 21:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
That's what I figurerd.glad it's not into a water jacket

Posted on: 2018/3/20 21:11
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Who has a picture of an intake and exhaust valve guide for 49 288?I need to see differences...thanks!

Posted on: 2018/3/22 21:14
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok guys..here's a new question...#1 cyl exhaust valve...new guide and valve...valve stem has no clearance..lifter adjustment bottomed out...can I grind off the bottom of stem to get clearance?49 288...block has 11/12/48 date and has ce at end of ser number...have read 48 and 49 service notes and manuals and have not found any info on tipping the valve stems for this model...could the seat be ground d to deep from previous job before I got the car?engine was "overhauled"in 1983..seat looks good no damage..new guide and valve..

Posted on: 2018/3/24 19:07
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a gauge tool which temporarily replaces the hydraulic lifter in the tappet to have a fixed point to measure and grind off any excess length to get the needed clearance on those lifters. . I don't know how critical that baseline measurement is on solid lifters since those are adjustable and can accommodate a large value but you should be able to grind a bit of the stem off to provide enough clearance for adjustment. Just make sure the cam is positioned so the tappet and lifter is all the way to the bottom when you measure or grind. The procedure and clearance for hydraulic lifters is in the SM but the final numbers are different for solids.

Posted on: 2018/3/24 20:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if it's possible to grind a seat so deep that you run out of mechanical tappet adjustment, but if it is possible it should be visually very obvious. Lay a straight edge across the block at the seat and just measure the depth to the seat compared to another exhaust valve seat.

If the seat is really that deep the two choices are to shorten the stem or install an insert valve seat and even then you may have to grind the stem. And if the seat really is that deep, you'll want to shim the valve spring to recover the lost tension from the new length.

Forget the hydraulic tappet gauge, it has no application here.

Have you compared the valve length to the original valve?

Posted on: 2018/3/24 20:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved