Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Chrysler transmissions
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I've seen a few mentions of using a Chrysler automatic behind the 1955-56 Packard. Do they use adapters to allow them to mount or just happens a Chrysler and a Packard have the same bolt face etc....?
John

Posted on: 2018/3/20 15:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Chrysler transmissions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An adapter kit was available for that conversion for a very long time, someone else will respond if it's still available and from whom.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 15:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
It was an idea that came out of southern California in the 1970s when "you can't get parts for those" (transmissions). The Torqueflite used is very specific, like 1970-1974, at the time those specific Chrysler transmissions and parts were readily available, now days--less so. The kit was pretty jakey looking, this huge aluminum ring around the bellhousing on the trans, this flanged collar that couples the engine to the torque converter on the T-F. The Torqueflite sat crooked, at an angle in the car in order to make it fit.
These days we either fix the Twin Ultramatic, as there are people (hint: NOT your local trans shop that knows everything about every Big 3 trans) who know how to rebuild them to work correctly, or there are other modern trans adaptions that are a world more professional looking. There is a guy in Texas who adapts GM 700R units to the Packard engine, milling out the top half of the bell housing (among other things) to make a direct bolt up.
The Torqueflite 727 is a really fine transmission, and they took a lot of punishment, but the Packard retrofits I saw just looked like the amateur hour.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 16:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Last I heard the people making the TorqueFlite kit had closed up shop. Don't believe anyone took over the manufacturing. Jack Nordstrom in Texas was doing a TH400 conversion for the 56 Golden Hawk application which uses the Packard engine so if you are looking at a 55-6 the bellhousing end would be taken care of. Not sure what is involved in getting a correct tailshaft and rear mount for a Packard and no idea if he still does the work or, like the TorqueFlite, if the trans is hard to come by

Bendtsen makes a GM 700R4 type adapter kit for both the S8 and the V8s. I believe that is the only readily available conversion for a S8 at the moment. The V8 conversion is fairly straight forward as long as the car has not got a pushbutton shift. The S8 kit is a bit more involved because the biggest downside to that one is the kit requires changing the original starter to a high torque mini starter which makes a conversion to 12v a must do.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Minor point of clarification, but the GM TH350, TH400, TH200-4R, TH700-R4, 4L60E, 4L80E, all use pretty much the same bolt patterns, so the Berentson adapter should be able to used with most any of them. Although, since the cost is similar, it makes sense to go with the overdrive and the lockup converter.
(http://www.transmissionadapters.com/PackardV8.htm)

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Divison
of Mager Engine

Posted on: 2018/3/20 18:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks for the clarification on the subject. I don't have a V-8 car but was just curious about it. I do have a S8 and the 200R4 or 700R4 would be nice.

John

Posted on: 2018/3/21 10:54
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Dude
See User information
I've done the 700R4 conversion on a couple of S8s and it's very straightforward and easy. It makes an amazing difference. They do require a small, gear reduction starter that is 12v. I converted my car (easy to do), but there is a place in Texas (I'll dig up the link later) that makes a solenoid for a 6/12 setup. There used to be 6/12 batteries made years ago (Orpin was the name of the switch/solenoid) but no longer. What it does is take two 6-volt batteries and runs them in parallel most of the time (6 volts). When you hit the start button the switch puts the batteries in series (12v) only to the starter and leaves 6 volts to the gauges and everything else. It charges like it's charging two 6-volt batteries. It's a slick setup that I've used for years. I use two Optima 6-volt batteries. With 12 volts to the (6v) starter it'll spin a V-12 over on a hundred degree day like it's nothing. They start so quickly it doesn't hurt the starter at all.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 23:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
With 12 volts to the (6v) starter it'll spin a V-12 over on a hundred degree day like it's nothing. They start so quickly it doesn't hurt the starter at all.

Agree the starters will turn the engine over very quickly for a fast start and there are lots of cars that seem to have no issues. Based on some anecdotal evidence I would however recommend a caution for anyone contemplating the change.

Do a search and you will find old threads where several on the forum over the last two or three years have reported broken castings on starters. It doesn't seem to be a particular brand or type starter as several years and starters have been involved. The only common thread is all were running the original 6v starter with 12v conversions.

Speculation is the added speed and inertia encountered when throwing the pinion out so much harder and faster with 12v is enough to slam into and weaken the end of the starter nose. Enough times and apparently it eventually cracks and breaks. Just keep that in mind if you have a hard to find or expensive starter. Maybe consider having the starter converted to 12v if you are considering a change.

Posted on: 2018/7/21 8:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1940 Packard was 12v using the original 6v starter and never a problem but I imagine that if there were to be a problem, it would be to the flywheel gear due to the extremely fast engagement.

Incidentally, one of the 6v/12v dual relays is available in the Classified Ads of my Packard / IMPERIAL page linked below.

Posted on: 2018/7/21 12:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I had the Bendtsen conversion done on my car ( 1955 400 2dr hardtop) in 2014 and have not had a transmission issue since; compare that to three rebuilt 55 ultramatics that failed. As an added bonus the car has more get up and go and gas mileage than it ever had with the twin.

Posted on: 2018/7/21 21:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved