Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

flywheel to Torque converter nuts, lost one
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Hi,
I'm literally just about to put my rebuilt engine back in and somehow can only find 3 of the 4 nuts to connect the TC to the flywheel.
I'm assuming the pic below is the correct, original nut to use?.
Can I use a grade 8 nylon locknut or split washer and hex nut instead?
I was also surprised that the manual lists the torque at 25-30 ft-lb. I would have guessed higher for such an important connection.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.16 KB)
120663_5ac900cad9a55.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/4/7 12:28
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Re: flywheel to Torque converter nuts, lost one
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I leave the suggestions of fasteners to others, other than the suggestion that if can't find the proper fastener in the hardware store, I'm sure Mike Dulinksi has a bucket of them. But whatever you do, you need to keep the same weight on each stud for balance so you best use the same fasteners on all 4.

Posted on: 2018/4/7 13:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Personally, I would shy away from the nylon insert type. While they would probably work there could be some condition that would soften the nylon and possibly let the nut work loose. As O_D said, there is Mike Dulinski for used originals or if you wanted to get new, I would look for something all metal -- maybe something like this steel anti vibration nut McMaster sells is available locally.https://www.mcmaster.com/#94820a245/=1cb8n2n

Posted on: 2018/4/7 13:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
You don't say what size and pitch the nut is. What you want is commonly referred to as a castle nut. It is commonly used with a cotter pin through the nut and bolt to ensure that it does not loosen. Amount of torque to used is almost always based on the size of the bolt.

You may be able to get them at Home Depot or Lowes and another well stocked hardware store. I would probably use a grade 5 or 8

Posted on: 2018/4/7 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe they are 3/8-24 threads. Not sure that is a cotter key type castle nut because the slots are too narrow for a cotter key and no keys are on the studs from the converter. The original nuts probably use either distorted threads in the body or else the threads in the prongs taper in for a tight interference fit to keep snug. .

Posted on: 2018/4/7 19:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard nailed it. The slots are cut to allow those segments to be squeezed in so that they fit slightly tighter on the shaft. They are noted as being marsden type nuts (self-locking).

Posted on: 2018/4/7 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
This proves that I'm not too old do still learn something.

Thanks to my tutors.

Posted on: 2018/4/7 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let's not confuse castellated nuts with self-locking nuts like the one Howard referenced, two different things.

Posted on: 2018/4/7 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The McMaster-Carr version is more obvious due to the many small slots but Packard's, at least the way it looked in the photo, could easily be mistaken as a regular castellated nut.

Posted on: 2018/4/8 1:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Use regular 3/8-24 nuts with a star washer or a drop of Loctite. Git r done.

Posted on: 2018/4/8 11:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved