Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 51

Oldcaddies , Ozstatman, DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: flywheel to Torque converter nuts, lost one
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I used rod cap. nuts..self locking..

Posted on: 2018/4/8 16:44
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
If you send us your address we will send you a nut free of charge, believe we have NOS. The nut in question is not a castle nut, the castle nut has a large space between "castles" to allow for a cotter pin and the converter studs are not drilled for that.

It is a style of self locking nut which is made by cutting the slots and then compressing them inwards to make a clamping force on the threads.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2018/4/9 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Actually, they are typically made by slotting first, then tapping the threads which pushes the slotted area outward a slight amount. Once the tap has been removed, the slotted area relaxes but with slightly shallower threads that grip when tightened. I suppose they could be made by squeezing in the slotted portion but usually not as it requires an extra operation that would add to the time and cost of the part.

Posted on: 2018/4/9 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Thank you to all for your quick response. I did drop the engine back in and temporarily used some nylon stop nuts for now. But I am still a fair bit away from actually starting it so I'll take Mr. Kanter up on his offer.

thanks again.
Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (371.98 KB)
120663_5acbb1564d031.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/4/9 13:31
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved