Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 56

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 super clipper windshield trim
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice in reinstalling my stainless windshield trim. I have the service manual, but when I removed my trim, I had four clips that were screwed through the rubber into the car on the bottom of the windshield, the service manual doesn't talk about these. When I try to open install the trim into the groove of the rubber.... the bottom wants to flip up(especially on the corners) any advice on this would be greatly appreaciated.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 18:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 super clipper windshield trim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are these the clips you are having problems with? If so I wonder if the windshield has slipped down and the weatherstrip has deformed and lost its shape so the molding cannot be retained. If you are installing new weatherstrip I believe the repro rubber is softer than the original and doesn't grip the molding very tightly which makes the situation worse. In a recent thread one poster mentioned he has used urethane cement on the molding flange to hold it in the retaining grooves.

Attach file:

jpg  (273.17 KB)
209_5acd507f39df0.jpg 1275X1647 px

jpg  (149.50 KB)
209_5acd5089b0798.jpg 1275X1647 px

Posted on: 2018/4/10 19:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
That is definitely those clips! So it looks like their only purpose is to hold the rubber, not do anything with the trim? And the rubber is new from Steele rubber. I also noticed that my lower trim wants to pop out of the pillar piece. Thanks for that info

Posted on: 2018/4/10 19:10
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Am I correct when I am thinking that the trim is only held by it going into the groove on the rubber that is next to the windshield and not at the bottom?(next to firewall) If anyone has any pics that would be great. I have the company that installed the windshield coming next week to assist with this cause I am out of ideas.

Posted on: 2018/4/11 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Only the inner edge holds the trim and the outer edge keeps it from sliding toward the glass. The fit of the reproduction gaskets is only barely OK and at the best of times the installation of the trim is difficult. If your trim got sprung out of contour during removal your task is doubly difficult and you will have to spring it back so that it will lay pretty much perfectly to contour even before installation.

Posted on: 2018/4/12 5:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
is there anything that holds the bottom of the trim against the car? (on the two bottom pieces) Maybe I do need to put a bit of a twist into them...

Posted on: 2018/4/12 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
The grove in the rubber and the 3 overlap clips are the only things to hold the trim. I assume the 3 clips still have the posts on them and were not broken off by the one who removed the trim? This very often happens when people are unaware that the interior trim must be removed to get to the retainers on the posts. I would also suggest that you check for the windshield sitting too low in the opening. If so those retainers shown on the service bulletin may, or may not rectify the issue. First verify the trim is the proper/ original shape. That it was not kinked, warped, or sprung when removed. The pinch weld in the opening must be in good condition and the opening unaltered. If this is verified,the procedure is this - take the windshield trim and hold it up to the vehicle on the roof line and the "A" pillars and the lower corners. The trim was manufactured to have its outer edge exactly follow the rolled lip edge on the body opening. When you hold the trim up aligning its outer edge to follow the body- carefully inspect and compare the trims rolled inner lip with the groove in the rubber weatherstrip. I think you will find it is a long way off. If the groove in the rubber is lower than the trim on top and to the inside on the pillars as I suspect then the shield is not in proper position and you will see the lower outside corners are way off line too and the trim will never stay in. Also , the trim edge which gets roped into the rubber must be a full fold. A crisp 180deg fold and in good condition. I suspect the auxiliary clips may push the shield in slightly on the bottom but will not lift the glass into its required position. The glass will need to be raised and held up approximately 3/16-1/4. When this is done you will see the trim now lines up with the slit and can now be roped in and will stay in place. A glass professional advised 2 ways to accomplish this. And my experience was that all wind noise and leaks at the upper corners of the 1955 windshield were gone. This is a process that will take much time and determination. The posts may be reattached to the stainless with proper techniques and materials also. Good luck.

Posted on: 2018/4/12 18:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Thank you very Much for that Info! Mine only has two clips with studs, and they go at the top of the windshield on either side. I'm away till Wednesday, but I will definitely be trying again once I am home. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2018/4/13 17:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved