Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where does this go?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Clipper55super
See User information
Can anyone tell me where this goes? It fell out when I pulled the oil pan off the old engine. I thought it went on the back of the oil pan, but doesn't seem to line up.

Attach file:

jpeg  (190.17 KB)
163384_5ad294299c492.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (190.20 KB)
163384_5ad2943b5685e.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/4/14 18:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Where does this go?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're close but the wrong end of the oil pan. It's a reinforcing band to better snug the front of the pan to the gasket and timing chain cover.

Posted on: 2018/4/14 20:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Clipper55super
See User information
Wonderful, thank you very much Owen!

Posted on: 2018/4/14 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
I normally hate to hijack another's thread, but since this was resolved and the title was perfect I have my own "where does this go?" Plus the forums have been quiet lately.

This 'star-like' washer was next to my fuel sender unit that I pulled out to clean out the tank. But I couldn't figure where it goes as the inner diameter is smaller than the hole in the tank and the base of the sender. So I reinstalled sender and tank without it.

Any ideas as to what it may have come from? It looks important.

also added a photo of when I took the sender off with no indication this washer belongs there.

thanks
Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (476.00 KB)
120663_5ae8a13126cbd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (374.49 KB)
120663_5ae8a14d72e8a.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/1 12:18
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is not stock but looks like it may have been some sort of additional grounding solution. The stock arrangement is the tank opening at the bottom, rubber O ring next, sender laying on the O ring and then retaining ring at the top. The ground is established between the sender top and retaining ring so perhaps that serrated item was something added between the two to provide a bit of "bite".

The ground can be erratic at times -- particularly if the tank has been removed and then replaced. Many have opted to solder and run an additional ground wire between the sender top and a ground screwed into the frame to avoid potential issues. If you don't want to try soldering drill a small hole at some point on the the sender surface to add a small screw to hold the ground wire. If done carefully the screw should be leak tight but if wanted, a bit of sealer would give additional assurance. Others have opted to add a small sheet metal screw for a ground wire at one of the corners of the tank center flange where the two halves coming together have provided a bit of extra metal where a hole would not present any leak danger. If there is good tight contract between the sender and retaining ring that is also a good solution.

Posted on: 2018/5/1 12:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Thanks for feedback. It is entirely possible that it has nothing to do with the fuel sender and somehow rolled over next to it. Weird, but possible.

I had similar concerns about grounding both sender-tank, and tank-chassis. I de-rusted the top of the tank and painted it so there was no metal-metal contact with the underside of the trunk. For that reason, I drilled a small hole at the tank halves mating flange and added a wire with a sheet metal screw.

For the sender to tank interface, I spent extra time making sure the metal contact surfaces on top and bottom of the fuel sender body and locking ring were very clean. Then, I forced a wire in between the top of the sender and the tabbed, tank locking flange to attach to chassis as an alternate ground.
Hopefully the combination of those approaches should help me get a good sender ground....

thanks again for your comments.
-Bob

Posted on: 2018/5/2 17:35
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved