Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 clipper ignition switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dave55
See User information
anyone put a after market ignition switch in there 55 or 56 clipper what brand did you use,

Posted on: 2018/4/15 18:42
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 clipper ignition switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure what's available today but as of a few years ago NAPA had perhaps a dozen different units to pick from.

Posted on: 2018/4/15 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Hi Dave, just curious but do you think you will have trouble doing this since the 55 is wired backwards from most aftermarket stuff. Being the 55 is s ground positive application?

Curious to what the gurus have to say.

Posted on: 2018/4/15 20:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's some of what NAPA had a few years back. There was a first page that I didn't happen to scan but it gives you an idea of what was (is?) available.

The ignition switch couldn't possibly care less about system polarity.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.61 KB)
177_5ad416376d420.jpg 1000X1311 px

Posted on: 2018/4/15 22:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks Owen

Posted on: 2018/4/15 22:26
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dave55
See User information
thanks for the help i;ll be checking out napa auto for sure

Posted on: 2018/4/17 10:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
NOS switches are still available but at a cost. For some the work to replace a Packard switch with a universal may not be worth the effort but when you can pick up a universal switch for approx $20 and add a bit of work, for others it may be.

Problem I think you are goin to find is none of the universal or other mfg specific switches have pins in the spots that will attach to the Packard bezel and some have necks that are too large to slide inside the bezel or the dash. Most universals just want you to add a nut or threaded ring to hold them in place. If you want to do the quickest, easiest and cheapest without the bezel, then a universal switch with a 7/8 neck should fit the dash opening. I was able to find a universal switch with a threaded neck that would fit the bezel so I could keep the dash look intact but that was some time ago and don't have the switch information now. You need a switch with a 3/4" diameter threaded neck with the threaded portion being no more than 1/2" long.

On that switch I was able to remove the lock cylinder to drill and thread a couple of holes thru the neck in the pin locations. Then installed a couple of short setscrews to replace the pins. 4-40 and 6-32 x 3/16" long setscrews held by locktite will satisfactorily duplicate the two pin diameters and fit the bezel notches. You do need to be careful the screws do not extend down in the cylinder cavity and interfere with the rotation.

A minor issue is the universal switches will not have provisions for the key illumination bulb socket. You can carefully remove the socket and bracket assy from the old switch and use JB Weld or a hose clamp to attach it to the body of the new switch. Just be sure the socket maintains a good ground with whatever method is used to attach it and the hood lines up with the plastic light opening so the illumination can get thru the bezel when the switch is mounted.

You can reinstall the cylinder and leave it at that point and have a satisfactory replacement but it will require a third key. On the switch I found I was able to remove the cylinder and make a small adapter so the original Packard cylinder could fit and work the rest of the switch. That bit requires a bit of fine detail work and the cylinders need to be compatible. With so much being made overseas now maybe not a current option. Some other switches have a lock cylinder similar enough that the original key grooves will insert. On those, once the cylinder is out the key can be inserted and tumbler pins can be filed to fit and reworked so the Packard key can work the lock.

Pollack and some Cole Hersee universal switches are a couple I have found that will accept the Packard key in many cases. Since I used those on the 47 which needed a switch with a larger diameter neck don't have a number for one that will fit the 55-6 bezel or know for sure the Packard key will fit other model switches.

Posted on: 2018/4/17 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved