Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Adjusting an updraft Detroit Lubricator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
I'm trying to adjust a Detroit Lubricator Model 51 udraft carburetor on my '32 902.

The carburetor seems to work OK but when cruising at no-load like on a fairly straight road at constant speed, the engine seems to miss or hesitate. Maybe it's not quite 100% at other conditions but it's noticeable at this no-load. The carburetor is a new repro made by David Frear.

There is a mixture t-handle adjustment screw under the throat. Does that adjust idle or high speed? How should I adjust that?

And there's two screws on the throttle for the butterfly. I'll try to post a photo. One bigger screw seems to be the stop for idle speed. But there's a smaller screw next to it that's called a "kicker screw". I don't know what that means or what that does. It has a needle-like end and is supposed to be adjusted 7-15 thou from being flush with the pump body. Again, I don't know what that means. How do I adjust that?

Could someone give me a step-by-step procedure for adjusting a DL Model 51?

Thanks --- Scott
dwyer12180@gmail.com

Attach file:

jpeg  (73.95 KB)
101212_5ad4c3b196cb4.jpeg 1024X768 px

jpg  (186.58 KB)
101212_5ad4c3c34e337.jpg 1262X1271 px

Posted on: 2018/4/16 10:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Adjusting an updraft Detroit Lubricator
Just popping in
Just popping in

Hotrodgss1
See User information
Scott, you must have ESP because I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday! The 903 I'm working on idles beautifully and responds perfectly when I rev the engine, but as soon as it's put in gear and you try to drive it, it dies after a few seconds. However, if I turn on the electric pump it'll drive ok, but it obviously runs very rich. Couple of things to note...

1. I just rebuilt the fuel pump and it's operating perfectly (zero fuel leaks and no air is getting in).

2. The eccentric that pushes the fuel pump rod up & down is worn down approx 1/16". From the factory, they're supposed to lift it 5/16" but mine only travels 1/4" (.240" to be exact). So I acknowledge that this could be the problem but before I go through the enormous process of replacing the eccentric, I'd like to ensure the carburetor is adjusted properly so I can rule it out as the cause (or significantly contributing) to the problem.

That being said, I spent hours online and the only thing I found was what the T-Handle at the bottom is and how to adjust it. It's the air fuel mixture screw and the best adjustment procedures I found are contained within the 1930 and 1931 Owners Manuals. You can find them here on the Packardinfo website.

Attach file:

jpg  (169.67 KB)
172320_5ad4e16c779aa.jpg 1333X981 px

jpg  (209.97 KB)
172320_5ad4e1777eaee.jpg 1329X981 px

Posted on: 2018/4/16 12:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Thanks for the suggestion about the 1931 manual. Odd that the 1932 manual says nothing about carburetor adjustment. The carburetor is the same, for all practical purposes.

Also odd that the 1931 manual says nothing about how to adjust that "kicker screw" or even what it does. In fact, the 1931 manual doesn't even label the kicker screw on the drawing !

--Scott

Posted on: 2018/4/16 21:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Hotrodgss1
See User information
I wish I knew why too. All I can tell you is to keep beating the drum. Have you tried posting this question on other sites?

Posted on: 2018/4/17 7:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you considered contacting the Carburetor Doctor? Extremely knowledgeable, regular contributor to AACA forums on carburetor questions. Perhaps a long shot but worth the few minutes it takes to formulate an email to him.

doc@carburetor.ca

Posted on: 2018/4/17 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Adjusting the fuel level is one important area that will help the DL function properly. Checking to make sure the arms that connect the air box vanes to the main jet are not worn excessively is another.

Fuel level can be checked with the DL off the car. I've found it easier to do it this way, vs. on car adjustments. Fuel pressure should be the same as what will be supplied by the mechanical or electric pump.

Original Stewart Warner fuel pumps will typically supply 1.5 to 2.0 psi. Electric pumps are typically higher.

Instead of using gasoline, I've used mineral spirits as a test fluid, safer that gasoline.

Most DL's have a drain fitting on the bottom of the bowl casting. I've made up a fitting to screw into this after removing the drain fitting. The fitting is drilled thru with a small diameter piece of clear hose attached to it. Leave the free end open and make sure the end of it is higher than the top of the bowl and firmly secured so it will not drop down.

If you turn over the engine or start the electric fuel pump you can check to make sure the fuel level in the bowl is correct by measuring the distance between the fuel in the clear hose and the top of the float bowl.

Posted on: 2018/4/22 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2018/4/22 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
The kicker screw holds the throttle open slightly when the choke is activated. There is a flat spot on the side of the top end of the cylindrical accelerator pump housing. The screw rides on the face of this flat spot during normal operations. However, activating the choke turns the cylinder on its axis, thereby rotating the flat spot away from the end of the kicker screw. The screw then rides up onto the curved part of the housing pushing the throttle slightly open.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 18:58
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved