Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

humanpotatohybrid, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Color Spark Plug Wire '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
What should the color and look of spark plug wire be for a 901 (Std 8)?

Posted on: 2018/4/18 15:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Color Spark Plug Wire '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Would you guess that I found the answer at PackardInfo.com. Along with a wealth of other info on the subject matter.

Posted on: 2018/4/18 16:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, but note the date on the wire specification - the gray wire applies to 1933 and 1934 and I don't have the document that was superseded to see if gray also applied to 1932. From what others have suggested to me, the gray wire did not apply to 1932 but I have nothing definitive on that point. This uncertainty is why I didn't respond to this query.

Posted on: 2018/4/18 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave thanks for the heads up on the wiring. I went to the parts manual for the 900 light and the 33-36 that we have available here at Packard. On page 8 for the 900 they show a P/N of 207477 and the 33/36 on page 27 shows the same P/N.

So I'm going to assume that gray wiring would be correct. In addition, I had been told that armor cable was used on for the coil to distributor, but in the 900 manual it appears that the 207477 stuff was used.

Posted on: 2018/4/18 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Studying Factory Photos over the years on this subject i believe u dont start seeing the STEELGRAY Ign Wire until mid '33.

Posted on: 2018/4/19 10:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Well I guess I'll go with black. Should it be shiny to look like a lacquered wire?

Posted on: 2018/4/20 12:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IMO you made the right decision, there just isn't any information that I'm aware of that says that the Sept. 1932 buying specification for gray wire in bulk would have applied to wire prior to that date.

As to wire, why not just buy the real thing, the black cloth covered and laquered high tension ignition wire with modern insulation beneath is available, see page 4 of the Restoration Supply on-line catalog.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 12:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved