Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 177

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Thinking of installing stainless steel brake lines on 1940 160
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
I am thinking of having stainless steel brake lines installed in my 1940 160. Does anyone have recommendations as to where to get them? I saw them in Kanter's catalog and would be curious if anyone has purchased those lines. Also, how difficult is it to install them properly? My mechanic tells me these are difficult to work with since they may not fit properly and may have to be adjusted, which would not be easy.

Posted on: 2018/5/9 20:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Thinking of installing stainless steel brake lines on 1940 160
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I installed Kanters stainless lines in the 47 Custom. The kit was not made by Kanter but was drop shipped from another vendor. IIRC, mine was made by Classic Tube and the first set that arrived was for another car as several of the lines were completely wrong. Kanter had another set made and shipped with minimal delay as compared to the lengthy time it took to get the first set. The second set fit without too much difficulty.

As far as installation there were no significant issues but your mechanic is correct in that the stainless line is not easy to make the fine tune bends if needed to line up perfectly going into a brass fitting. That was probably the biggest issue I had with the hard tubing but there were not many corrections needed. Overall, I felt it was easier and less time consuming than making my own lines.

If you or your mechanic do want to make your own lines many have used the Copper-Nickel or Cunifer tubing. That tubing is softer and much easier to bend, flare and route. Making your own will come in at a considerable $$ savings over the premade stainless.

Posted on: 2018/5/9 22:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I would go with Howard's suggestion of using a copper-nickel tubing if your mechanic is willing to make them up for you. I've used it in the past and it is easy to work with. Of course, he'll to be able to make up lines with a double flare (I use a Ridgid 345 tool).

Posted on: 2018/5/12 9:30
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Thank you, Howard and Marston. Good suggestions and highly appreciated!

Posted on: 2018/5/12 21:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved