Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Opinions wanted on this '38 Packard Super 8
Just popping in
Just popping in

LSU_Phidelt
See User information
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1938/packard/super_8/100822927

I've been considering this '38 Packard Super 8 coupe but wanted opinions from forum members regarding price and any known issues with similar cars.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 7:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Opinions wanted on this '38 Packard Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'll defer to someone with more knowledge of the 38-9, but looks like a Junior model, obviously rodded. If your intent is to restore, it's a terrible buy. If you want a rod, that's outside my knowledge.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 8:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If you're into resto-mods I guess it looks pretty good. At least they didn't put a tilt steering wheel or 20" wheels on it. With a 350 engine transplant there's not too much to comment on as far as Packard mechanical attributes are concerned.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
One caveat- there is a very sleazy Classic Car dealer in Cadillac, MI. No idea if this is the same outfit but they try to rep automobiles that they have no interest in by combing the web for ads & photos. Note the TX plates & poor quality photos.
An ounce of prevention!

Posted on: 2018/5/14 8:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Not all resto-rods are created the same...quality of build greatly affects the price. I see no A/C, mostly original components (brakes, steering, etc). Appears to me, from the limited pictures, what was a 110 coupe with basically an engine transplant. Were I looking for a resto-rod, I would be seeking a better build. Just me...

Posted on: 2018/5/14 9:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
This junior (not super 8) was done by an old guy in Missouri. It sold for around $15k about 4 yrs ago and ended up in the Conroe area of Texas. This individual has been trying to resell it ever since. I know the owner in Missouri had the original engine with the car but I don't know if it still is.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 10:04
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
It depends on how you intend to use the car and what your drivability expectations are. Its a '38 Six coupe Model 1600 originally powered by a 100 hp engine; the steering, braking and suspension are still eighty year old technology. Into this modest chassis has been inserted an engine with possibly triple the horsepower. Will it go fast? You bet. Will it steer, brake and handle in accordance with the speed capability? Not in the least! Driven moderately one might get away with it, until a tight situation occurs at current road speeds. Imho, for what its worth, these 'resto-rods' built this way are four-wheeled tragedies waiting for a place to happen. Check Copart under 'Classics' to see the results. BTW, this one is badly over-priced.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 11:03
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

LSU_Phidelt
See User information
Thank you to all who provided input. Since posting just yesterday, I've received info to abandon remotely considering that car.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2018/5/15 9:02
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved