Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Support Bracket
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
I am in need of a close up picture of the oil bath air cleaner support bracket for my '51 300. I want to replace the standard air cleaner with one of the large heavy duty oil bath types but I do not have a support bracket and can't find a good picture of one. I know one end attaches to the cylinder head but I don't know how the other end attaches to the cleaner. If someone has a picture or could take some closeups for me that would be a tremendous help. Or if anyone has one for sale that'd be great too! Otherwise I'm going to try to make one. If it helps, my engine is a 327 with 2 barrel carb.

Posted on: 2018/5/19 10:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Support Bracket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Trying to reply but keep letting a time-out error even though only a few minutes have elapsed since I logged in.

Here are some photos from the bracket on my 1951 Henney-Packard ambulance which has the 5-main 327 and 2-brl carburetor. The bent end attaches to a bolt on the side of the head while the straighter slotted end is attached to the air cleaner itself using the long bolt that holds it together. As I recall, the brackets look very similar between the 2-brl and 4-brl filters but were not interchangeable and of course, the 1954 with the 359 was completely different

Attach file:

jpeg  (215.05 KB)
60923_5b0053b1372a4.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (249.12 KB)
60923_5b0053d882f18.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (222.52 KB)
60923_5b005404103de.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/19 11:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the bracket Don shows is the same as your car would have. Without some dimensions you will need to set your cleaner in place and take measurements. IIRC the bracket is approx 1/8 thick material and a little over 1" wide.

Main difference between brackets is the length from the bend for the block mounting bolt to the slot and the degree for the two angles at the block side. The angles controls the 90 degree across the block and horizontal height portion and the length is for the different carbs. Kev has a couple of photos of his engine. I believe his bracket is different but you can still get an idea of how it mounts to keep the cleaner horizontal and at 90 degrees to the carb.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=13219#forumpost13219

Posted on: 2018/5/19 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not a great shot of the bracket but here's a 1951 (with dealer-installed A/C) that shows it in place.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.96 KB)
60923_5b0063e6e1a96.jpg 800X608 px

Posted on: 2018/5/19 12:51
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
Many thanks gentleman! Exactly what I needed to know.

Posted on: 2018/5/20 14:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You're very welcome and I just happened to have the bracket photos as someone wanted to buy it so I pulled it off but then it turned out that his Packard had been retrofit with a 4-brl carburetor so needed a different bracket.

Posted on: 2018/5/20 14:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved