Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Crank No Spark
Just popping in
Just popping in

Voorheis
See User information
Just started working on my 47 Packard. its got the 356 straight 8. i was told it ran by previous owner that he jumped it and dumped gas down it and had it running. i swapped the ignition switch out of my secondary/parts car since he didn't have a key for the one car. bought a new battery and put it in. I tore down the Carb and cleaned it all up and made sure my floats and needles weren't sticking. key on depress the gas pedal and it cranks over. seems like it might be slow but i'm not sure how fast it is supposed to turn over (first older car I've worked with) i filled the Carb with gas and even tried dumping a little down it but no luck. i bought an inline spark tester and from what i see i don't have spark. i'm a fully certified ford tech but I've never worked on anything old enough to have points let alone 6v positive ground. not sure exactly where to start or what to look for. a little help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Also a side note. I did print off the wiring diagram to reference but a previous owner changed the wiring in the and now everything is red and yellow wires.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 18:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Crank No Spark
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the stock ign switch and firewall mounted coil with a single terminal in the engine compartment I suggest putting a volt meter on the coil terminal or the distributor terminal and measure voltage to ground to verify voltage. When points are open there should be battery voltage of 6v at that point. When points are closed there should be just over 0v measured. It would be ideal to verify when cranking that the supply voltage is not dropping below approx 5.5v. That is harder to do on that coil as the supply terminal is inside the car under the armored cable cap. If it drops near 5v the spark will be weak and if the plugs are dirty or fouled the spark may not be able to easily jump the gap.

If you have voltage remove the center high voltage wire from the dist cap and lay it near the block so the spark can jump to metal. Disconnect the small wire to the coil at the dist terminal end and touch the terminal wire end against the block. Be sure not to hold the bare terminal when doing this as there can be enough kickback voltage generated to give you a shock. There should be a spark generated each time the wire is touched and removed from the block.

With everything connected If there is no voltage at the terminal check the supply voltage from ign switch which goes to the coil terminal inside the car via the wire in the armored cable. If the voltage is continually near 0 and never makes a transition between 0 and 6v check for shorts in the distributor. If the dist has been disturbed internally, a short in the fabric covered flex wire between the points and outside terminal or a shorted capacitor is suspect. If you have overdrive there is also a small chance a relay or contact in the ign cutout circuit could be hung resulting in a ground condition. Disconnecting the wire coming from the OD relay to the coil will eliminate that possibility.

If the voltage is present but never drops look at the points and make sure they are closing.

If the voltage does fluctuate but is consistently somewhere between 6v and 0v verify the points are not burned or oxidized from years of sitting and check that the distributor has a solid ground to the engine block thru the mounting clamp.

If you would like a bit more info on how the point systems work there is an Ign system training manual you can download from the literature section.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/IgnitionTrainingManual.pdf That particular manual is a Packard publication applicable to the 41-47 models but is a good tutorial for all the old point systems.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Crank No Spark
Just popping in
Just popping in

Voorheis
See User information
Awesome... so helpful thanks... I'll get to checking everything over hopefully tomorrow and see what I got

Posted on: 2018/5/22 20:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved