Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mechanical brake lite switch conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Has anyone converted their Packard (46-50) to a mechanical brake lite switch operated by the brake lever? My hydraulic switch keeps failing me. If someone has done this conversion please share the details. Thanks

Posted on: 2018/6/16 10:33
 Top  Print 

Re: Mechanical brake lite switch conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several have done this to their manual brake Packards using a universal mechanical switch but don't remember anyone posting all the details. Here is a YouTube video of it being done on a 57 Studebaker and I imagine the process could be almost identical pedal wise. Main mechanical difference is the master cylinder is forward to the pedal on a pre 55 Packard but the new switch placement would be about the same.

He did a nice install but maybe went a bit overboard with the hole thru the pedal to mount the spacer assy that works the switch. If the arm on the switch you buy had a stud thru the switch arm or the arm can be bent to fit under the pedal and still clear the floorboard that extra bolt, spacer and washer bit thru the pedal may not be necessary.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVX3sWlTn1Y

Posted on: 2018/6/16 12:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Thanks Howard. I'm looking for a simple solution. Maybe a switch with and arm which can be mounted and mechanically activated by depressing brake pedal. My thought is a switch, a couple of mounting screws, extend existing wires and adjust.

Posted on: 2018/6/17 6:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A switch with an arm that is closed when the pedal is depressed is exactly what the Napa universal switch in the video is doing.

Posted on: 2018/6/17 8:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Kanter may sell them

Posted on: 2018/6/17 10:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Perhaps looking into why the hydraulic switch is going bad so frequently might be a better plan, such as debris in the lines that is plugging it. In over 50 years of dealing with cars I've only ever had to replace these a couple times.

Posted on: 2018/6/19 2:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Most of the current hydraulic switches are coming from China and this may explain the high failure rate. I found an older stock unit that was made in Mexico and has worked well for me.
Good authority has it that Harley Davidson parts have a very low pressure to activate and are good go-to parts.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2018/6/19 11:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved