Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Paint Question--1956 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I'm in the process of trying to buy a 1956 Patrician with paint code MH--Dover White over Mojave Tan Metallic. The paint on the deck lid is thin and should be repainted. My past experience with the local paint store's color matching by photospectrometer has not been very positive, and Bill Hirsch tells me I have to buy enough nitrocellulose lacquer to paint fifty cars in order to get the original color mixed.

Is there a good way to get an accurate color match for the Mohave Tan Metallic? I'd like to paint the deck lid only, as the rest of the tan looks good. I'm not necessarily hooked on staying with nitrocellulose lacquer, as modern paints are easier to apply and much more durable.

Any help will be appreciated.

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2018/6/21 15:58
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Re: Paint Question--1956 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just my two cents but getting a paint match depends a lot on the guy doing it -- both in making the color and applying the paint. The spectro is supposed to be spot on color wise but I haven't had any of the fancy machine matches done. Have had several matches done by eye and some of the guys are quite accomplished. A wannabe but not quite authentic shade of Packard blue on my 47 was perfectly matched in enamel by one of the local stores.

At any rate just painting a trunk lid is liable to lead to disappointment. Fortunately there is a seam all around to break new vs old but the fact you have a large surface of new color surrounded by old on 4 sides is inviting any mismatch to show. Add that to the possible fading and it becomes more of a challenge. You might be able to get an idea if there is any fading and how much by removing the trunk emblem Vee and circle to see if there is any original unfaded paint under the pieces. Take the gas filler lid which one would assume to be faded the same amount as the car and have new paint matched to that. I would think that is about the closest match you will be able to get assuming the paint is not metallic. Several have had issues trying to match the metallic flake size and composition between old paint and what is available today.

Not sure what kind of restrictions there might be on paint in your state due to volatility etc but some states (Calif is one) will leave you very little choice in what type paint you can buy. The different paint types is another guaranteed route to a visible mismatch.

Posted on: 2018/6/21 18:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Spectrophotometers are not meant to be used with special effect paints. The light is reflected at an angle and metallic flake scatters it. The error is less with fine metallics, but still an issue. Also need to watch for metamerism, changes in match under different viewing conditions. Find a place with a good color matcher and use a visual standard. Keep in mind that the rest of your car is weathered from original, so you are trying to match that, not the original color

Posted on: 2018/6/22 8:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
You can try an outfit in Rockaway NJ called Hibernia Auto Restoration. They mix nitrocellulose in small quantities. I have personally used them on a 62 Vette that need one panel that needed to be resprayed. I had purchased a qt.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2018/6/22 9:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I would endorse Hibernia also. When I had Best Other painted they supplied the lacquer. Good company - very helpful.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 12:21
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved