Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

The Search For The Missing Packard Pan Americans (and a bit about prototype Caribbean #1)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
For those who like Packard mysteries and info on Packard concept cars, here is something on the Hemmings Motor News Daily today...>>>https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/07/08/pan-american-the-mysterious-packard-concept-sports-car-which-way-did-they-go/?refer=news

Posted on: 2018/7/8 9:41
 Top  Print   

Re: The Search For The Missing Packard Pan Americans (and a bit about prototype Caribbean #1)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Great article. Thanks for making the time to share this information and for leading the effort to find the missing Pan American's.

Posted on: 2018/7/8 20:16
 Top  Print   

Re: The Search For The Missing Packard Pan Americans (and a bit about prototype Caribbean #1)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Always interesting.

I have a newspaper clipping dated Oct 1952, that says the Pan American sports car will be on display at Albert J Meek Sunday thru Thursday. He was the Packard dealer in Fort Worth.

The article states only 10 models of the Pan American have thus far been built, but Packard expects to build about 1,000 in the next year.

I have a photo by RW Graves with 5 women one identified as Queen in one of the fender mounted antenna Pan American. It appears to be in a stadium setting. Iin addition to naming the women it says only 6 made, but it also says it's a 1953 Caribbean. The car has 1953 California plates, but are not the dealer plates.

Posted on: 2018/7/8 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

mlgrimes wrote:
Great article. Thanks for making the time to share this information and for leading the effort to find the missing Pan American's.

Thanks much for the very kind words!

Posted on: 2018/7/8 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Always interesting.

I have a newspaper clipping dated Oct 1952, that says the Pan American sports car will be on display at Albert J Meek Sunday thru Thursday. He was the Packard dealer in Fort Worth.

The article states only 10 models of the Pan American have thus far been built, but Packard expects to build about 1,000 in the next year.

I have a photo by RW Graves with 5 women one identified as Queen in one of the fender mounted antenna Pan American. It appears to be in a stadium setting. Iin addition to naming the women it says only 6 made, but it also says it's a 1953 Caribbean. The car has 1953 California plates, but are not the dealer plates.

Ahhh... well it would be quite nice to see the clipping and the photo you describe. Of course, if the antenna is on the driver's fender, it would have to be one of the later cars (in other words, after Pan Am #1).

And yes, some of the articles back then got into wild numbers of how many were made. But we know for sure it wasn't 10.

Of course, with California hard plates rather than dealer plates, this tells me that the car was registered... and that opens ALl kinds of possibilities. If you could email scans, they would be most appreciated. Every piece of the puzzle...

Thanks much!

Posted on: 2018/7/8 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Leeedy,
Let me know if you received my email.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 7:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Leeedy:

Solid research as always. Keep up the good work of preserving Packard's history.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2018/7/9 8:53
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
Hello Leeedy:

Solid research as always. Keep up the good work of preserving Packard's history.

--Roger--

Thanks, Roger. Sorry I missed Bill Robinson's seminar that I understand you were assisting. How'd it go?

Posted on: 2018/7/9 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Leeedy:
IMHO, Bill did really well. It was PAC who invited him and got his photos converted into a power point presentation. I was not there for the first part, but when I was able to break free I saw that the room was nearly filled. It appeared that he was telling his stories of his time at Briggs, Chrysler, the College for Creative Studies and what he did for Packard.

Toward the second half I was able to bring in 4 of his original works he did at Briggs on behalf of Packard. He had a very long Q&A session and a number of folks stayed to ask him more questions.

Poor guy had a long day. He drove down from Detroit early in the morning and he did not leave the presentation room until nearly 10:00 PM. One fellow told me that Bill's presentation alone was worth attending the National Meet.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 15:43
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

LSU_Phidelt
See User information
Extremely fascinating and informative. Thank you for sharing.

Posted on: 2018/7/11 7:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved