Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interchanging Front Shocks?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The 1948-1954 Parts List, Section 13.000 lists the many and various shock absorbers by part number that fit the 22nd and 23rd Series Packard vehicles. Want I'd like to know is: Are the shocks physically interchangeable? Not what's "correct", as I'm aware only certain shocks are correct for certain model chassis. But: 1) Is the pattern for the mounting bolts the same for all shocks. 2) Do the arm lengths differ between the different shocks? 3) Does the amount of travel of the arms differ between the different shocks.

I understand that valving and other internals are going to be different, to accomodate the different weights and rides required for different Packards.

Reason for all this is? I have a 2301 chassied Packard(RHD Export) but could have the opportunity to acquire a 2222(LHD) rolling chassis, supposedly with everything rebuilt.

Wait, just checked the grease stained, well thumbed, Hollanders I have and it shows that all 46-50 Packard front shocks interchange. But wait again, this probably relates to US models only as I doubt that Hollanders was concerned about the export market. Looks like there might be some trial and error in my future should I acquire the chassis and shocks.

Will be seeing the chassis "in the metal" tomorrow so may have some answers of my own then.

Attach file:

jpg  (202.50 KB)
226_5b7649c5817bd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (222.40 KB)
226_5b7649d4dd8d5.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (49.35 KB)
226_5b764bc965f74.jpg 450X600 px

jpg  (70.81 KB)
226_5b764bd1f36fe.jpg 450X456 px

Posted on: 2018/8/16 23:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Interchanging Front Shocks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Has anyone tried using an upper control arm from a '51+ for a Series 22/23 to convert to a tube-type shock? The spindle mount for the control arm is the same but the frame would have to adapted to attach the control arm as well as some slight mods to the lower shock attachment. I've thought about trying this to get rid of the expensive, outdated leakers.

Posted on: 2018/8/17 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The mounting pattern and arm lengths are all the same.
Only the valving differs.

Posted on: 2018/8/17 16:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Was waiting for a response from yourself, I knew if anyone would know it would be you!

Posted on: 2018/8/17 17:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved