Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 142

Joe, Don B, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Radiator Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Ok i give i tried to take the radiator out today. I removed the six bolts (3 each side)in the engine bay and it is being held by something else it wont bundge!!!!!!!!

Did i miss bolts on the bottom???????

Posted on: 2018/8/18 19:35

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
you didn't state what year, but pre-40, yes, bolt at the bottom center

Posted on: 2018/8/18 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Sorry it's in my description it's a 41club couple.......

Posted on: 2018/8/19 9:21

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Pat,

If it is the same as my '39, the bottom, center bolt has a 'T' shaped head that interlocks into the bracket on the bottom of the rad. It's a big bolt, about a 3/4"/7/8" nut. Also, on mine, the petcock on the bottom of the rad seemed to want to catch on everything and could be easily damaged - just a word of caution.

Chris

Posted on: 2018/8/19 17:37
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks Chris I ended up taking the ptcock out..... The 41 couoe doesn't have the bottom center bolt but I did finally find 3 more bolts that had to be removed from the I side wheel well. I got it out boy what a mess I don't think this car ever saw a car wash

Posted on: 2018/8/19 21:12

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Definitely should be a bolt securing the bottom of the radiator to the frame. When I pulled the radiator out of my then Packard, a '41 120 Coupe, the bolt was there but the nut was missing! That was about 3 years ago. Previously, about 10 years prior had pulled the radiator for a check, it was OK, maybe I either forgot the nut or didn't tighten it properly at the time? Irrespective, you should have a bolt(and nut) there. I'd imagine it also helps with the rigidity of the front sheet metal as the mudguards(fenders) and other body metal is all interconnected.

EDIT - Looking again now, the bolt is painted, if the threads had been disturbed by a nut they'd either be rusty or shiny, so I inadvertently left the nut off back in 2008!

Attach file:

jpg  (22.58 KB)
226_5b7a3b419be37.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2018/8/19 22:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ozstatman, now im a little concerned that i may not have the right radiator. On my 110 when i finally got the radiator out that bolt was there but it was not attached to the radiator in any way. The bolt is a carriage type i believe, it still had a castle nut and cotter pin which was a bitch to get out. There is a radiator support pan where the bolt head is just below the bottom of the radiator then there appears to be a rubber bushing of some sort between the pan and the front cross member this bolt goes through the support, rubber and cross member and is cinched down with a big washer and and the castle nut and pin. Flackmaster said the bolt was on used pre 40 only????!!!!????

So confused

Posted on: 2018/8/20 11:02

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am surprised that nut and bolt are actually part of the radiator but I guess maybe conventional bodies could be a bit different in how the radiator fastens.

On the prewar Clippers and subsequent Clipper based bodies that bolt, nut and a combination of rubber and steel above the crossmember are one of the fastenings for the radiator cradle but are not connected to the actual radiator itself. The radiator is just held by bolts thru flanges on the sides which thread into the cradle.

The combination of rubber cushions and shim washers are used to set the height of the cradle to raise or lower the tilt at the rear of the fenders so they line up with the body for an even gap. If the bolt serves the same purpose on a conventional body, if you disassemble take note of where the rubber thicknesses and shims are positioned so you can get the height more or less correct on the first try.

Posted on: 2018/8/20 11:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
To clarify, I was certain pre-40 had the bottom bolt. Was not certain for 40-41 and blindly did not note your car in signature, but you were posted in the pre-war forum. For future searches, please photo and document the process for the next guy...thanks!

Posted on: 2018/8/20 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Howard thanks for the insight that makes sense.....

Flackmaster thanks as well my 41 doesnt use the bolt to help mount the radiator but more than likely for what Howrd sad to align body parts.......always good when we can learn more stuff!!!!

Posted on: 2018/8/20 12:13

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved