Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Proud New Owner of a 49 Packard Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
OF course! I already have a license plate that says 49 Packrd...

Posted on: 2018/9/6 6:41
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I think you are right re cut off tube. I'll check. But why is there a pigtail going to an oil gallery for non hydraulic lifters? How do I tell what engine this is? Where is the engine number?

Posted on: 2018/9/6 7:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Where is the engine number?

Driver's side of the block, on a raised pad at the upper rear above the starter motor and just below the temperature gauge sending unit. There are pictures of the locations on this site, perhaps someone will show you a link or pix.

Non-hydraulic lifters also require lubrication.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 7:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the motor number, it should be on the pad over the starter as previously mentioned but if nothing is found there check carefully more midway on the block somewhere on either side of the distributor and not necessarily on a finished pad. Grease and dirt mixed with sometimes faint stampings also can make finding the number challenging.

In addition to lubrication for the solid lifters the oil to the top lifter gallery feed port also provides oil through a valve at the end of the gallery into the timing chain compartment for lube to the chain and gears.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 8:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Octavus,
for also including your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan parts car in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 15:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have the 288 engine in my 1950 Series 23 touring sedan. I have been chasing overheating for about 5 years and gradually improving the situation. Here are some of my experiences:

1. Soon after I bought the car I replaced the thermostat, rebuilt the radiator core, and replaced the water pump. I did NOT pull the water distribution tube because the front of the body has to be removed to do that.

2. I checked the temperature gage with a new SW mechanical gage with numbers on it. Because of a lack of numbers on the Packard gage I put the new temp gage under the dash so I have 2 of them. I have trouble with inconsistent readings on the aftermarket gage and I think that is because I do not have the sending unit mounted is a place which gives it constant contact with water. I still need to solve that problem.

3. To improve the cooling I had my mechanic add an electric fan in front of the radiator. I could not tell if that helped however. On a long drive the Packard lost power on the freeway and I had to pull over. The radiator core was leaking and the water sprayed onto the ignition and shorted out some of the plugs. I pulled the radiator and found the fan blades flexed and hit the core until they caused a leak. The core was replaced with a new heavy duty core with more fins and tubes. I removed the electric cooling fan. So far that seems OK.

4. I recently checked the temperature at the front and rear of the head and found a small difference in temperature but nothing to be alarmed about. If the water pump is off again I will clean/replace the distribution tube no matter how hard the job is. Based on my experience it looks like a week's work for 2 people.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 15:59
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I can't find the project blog I tried to create last nite. I took out the OD cable tonite, and it freed right up! The OD lever on the tranny articulated, so that is not a problem.

I also ran the car for a good 20 minutes at idle and according to the heat gun, no part of it got over about 185.

Where do I get Packard Maroon interior paint? Eastwood does not appear to have it.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 21:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
What part of your interior is painted maroon?
The metal trim should be faux wood grain from what I understand? Did it completely fade to undercoat or get covered...or is this a standard v deluxe v custom issue?
There's a '49 paint chart available, I think it's on this site in the literature section, I know I've seen it, may have it. I don't recall any interior paint on it but should be. I had to call the wood grain guy, and then he mislead me, so be sure before you spend a couple hundred on a qt of paint as I did.
Some of the paint co. sites have the chip charts online but getting harder to access. TCM global comes to mind and they changed to autocolorlibrary.com
ps: Digging out and finding the info is part of the journey of resto.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 12:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I may have just bollocked this up. It looks maroon to me, but the wife says its brown. I shoulda just painted the od cable housing black, but I found a nice dark maroon. I can always repaint it. I'm talking about the under dash stuff, like the steering wheel housing, the thing that holds that to the dash, and the od cable housing. Its not woodgrained. The top of the dash etc is woodgrained, tho somewhat worn. What the heck color is this?

Posted on: 2018/9/10 8:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The underdash brackets seemed to vary a bit by year or series. In my 47 21st series Custom which has, I believe, the identical pieces your 23rd series uses it is brown and a lighter shade brown than the same pieces in a prewar Clipper. The hood releases and vent mechanism are a different shade and color than the column support bracket and underdash exposed portion of the steering column.

In my case I disassembled the column bracket and took one of the halves to the store to try and match a previously covered and unfaded portion of the bracket to what was available in spray cans. I found a very close match in a Rustoleum color called Leather Brown. The same in a removable piece of the hood and vent mechanisms gave me Satin London Gray.

While those colors worked for my 47 they may not be correct for your 49 but I'd bet you could do the same thing and find colors very close to what you need. If there is nothing ready made you like then a more expensive approach is to take the pieces to an autobody paint supplier and have them match the colors. They can then make you a couple of spray cans.

Posted on: 2018/9/10 9:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved